Discuss Help choosing the right TRV's for my central heating system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rthirlby

Hi everyone, my first post here so hope it is in the right section.

I am having some work done on my central heating system including a new boiler and a magnatite cleaner but I would also like to take the opportunity to change the standard valves to thermostatic radiator valves.

The reason for this is a few of the old valves are leaking so need replacing anyway so I thought I might aswell fit TRV's. I dont have a massive budget so I wont be able to afford the likes of drayton TRV4 valves, I will be looking at the cheaper end of the market.

The pipework to my radiators is 10mm and I have standard basic radiators. Do radiators differ on the connection size?

My gas-safe man who is doing some work for me says he will fit new TRVs for me free of charge if I supply them. Unfortunately he is away on holiday at the moment so I cannot ask him to show me which valves are suitable.

I have a feeling I should be looking for some with a 1/2" tail (is that the right term) and it must be suitable for 10mm pipe.

Any help greatly appreciated as I am lost!

I could post a photo later tonight if required?

Thanks,
Rich T

They will be fine, Its just the reducer you must have.

If you attempt to do them your self be careful not to over tighten as the olives tend to split in the reducer.

My advice is to tighten gently then pressurize the heating system... Worst cause scenario is they they will weep with water, just tighten little more until the water stops.

Sorry I don't understand, do the ones I linked to not come with a reducer if it says 15 & 10mm fittings?

Yes they do...

just saying if you were to attempt this repair you need to be careful when tightening

So your absoloutely positive that there is no doubt these ones are right? There's no reason they won't fit? Radiators don't have different sized connections?

your plumber would be able to fit them. BUT please please buy the twin pack from screwfix @ ÂŁ8.99 per set.

If you do have a problem, you can simply return them. Or ask your plumber to supply at say ÂŁ10.00 per set (including diesel)

I get bog standard honeywell from plumb centre for 5 pound-odd. Could you not just use these.

I get bog standard honeywell from plumb centre for 5 pound-odd. Could you not just use these.

Good price, just want this guy to go to retailer on high street rather than ebay. Saving a few pounds aint worth the wait and if the product it self fails, I very much doubt Mr Smith sitting at home on his laptop will take responsibility

Thanks for the links and suggestions, I will look into the plum centre ones if there is one near me. I have been speaking to the ebay seller and he isnt too far from me so I would be collecting. I am trying to find out if he is a business seller and if he can provide a proper receipt instead of going through ebay so I have a nice 5 year warranty on them.

I have a picture of my existing valves if you could double check there will be no problems.

Attachments

• ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadByTapatalk.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 29
Right the seller is a business not private so he can provide a proper receipt I just need help confirming they are definately the right ones for my system.

I did look at the plum centre website but I cant see any cheaper valves than the ones on ebay.

Also what tools will I need to fit the TRVs?

I think I need the following
Water Pump pliers
Adjustable wrench
Possibly an allen key?
PTFE Tape

I read somewhere about sealing paste to put on the radiator threads is this right, can anyone recomend a brand?

Thanks
Rich T

Any sealing paste really boss white jet blue etc. they are all the same to be honest.

The valves you have at the moment are the Cosmos / Belmont type with the 3/4" dome coupling. Nearly all TRVs use 15mm tails.. You will need a radiator tail key to remove these in order to fit the new type tails into your radiator (plenty of PTFE tape round the threads or as I prefer use hemp and paste (eg boss white)). Put some PTFE round the olives.

Your existing valve has a drain cock so you also need a new drain cock somewhere on the pipework or replace the lockshields with drain cock types.

You will need to get the old nuts and olves off the piepwork without damaging it - will need some careful work with junior hacksaw.

WHen you reassemble you will need 15-10mm reducing olives for each valve. Wrap some PTFE tape round the olives and mating surfaces on these reducers to ensure a good fit and like another poster has said do not overtighten or you will crumple the 10mm pipe.

Another thing to watch is make sure the TRVs go on the correct way round. Some don't work properly if the water is flowing in the wrong direction through them.

Last edited:
Excellent reply thanks for that. So much so its scared me off doing the job myself lol.

My gas-man is going to do them for me free of charge and he will source valves for me.

Thanks to everyone for the help though, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help choosing the right TRV's for my central heating system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock