Search the forum,

Discuss HELP !! Bottom rads cold & a list of other things.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skoobasteve

Hi Guys

The problem all stated about 2 months ago. I switched on the heating and nothing happend. I went out to the boiler and thought perhaps it has time for a top up. However the pressure on the boiler was 3.7 Bar !! I drained the system back to normal (around 1.5bar) ? and the heating stated workuing as normal. A few days later the same thing happend again so i repeated the proccess and after this it was all fine for about 3 weeks.
After this time i noticed the rads downstairs (i live in a townhouse) were not as warm as they should be. So i openned the smaller valve on the rads more (not the valve TPV valve or thermostat valve) to increase the water flow. Everyhing them seemed ok. Next thing i know a few dayslater the heating stops due to low water pressure. i toped it up and was fine for a week. the it needed then needed toped up again. this continued until im now at the point it needs toped up everytime i need to use it !! I have checked the entire system for leaks and cant find a drip, I was even under the floor last night to check they pipes. Again everyhing was ok. its definetly not leaking from the PRV either as its been changed Its now been like this for a month !
Last night i balanced all the rads top to bottom and evrn turnnrd off the upstairs ones to see if i could force water to the downstairs ones but it never. I have now noticed that when i turn the water on the rads get warm in the middle floor and if i have the water and haeting on together the rads dont get very warm at all. I can not remember if it was like this at the start when we bought the house.
As far as i can tell its a pressureised unvented hot water cylinder. So no storage tank in the loft, The layout is boiler in garage bottom floor, Water tank and expansion vessel in the 1st floor ( this flloor get great heating when its heating on only) and just some rads upstairs 2nd floor.
I did notice at one point when i was in looking at the water tank the valve ( think its the diverter) when i moved the wire it started making a noise depending on what way i moved the wire but now it does nothing at all ?
I have tried to give as much info a possible guys for some advice as i dont want some cowboy coming out miss-diagnosing faults and replacing parts. Is it possible that the diverter valve has failed and my tank is stealling water from my rads dropping pressure or any thoughts ??
Skooba

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like the expansion vessel needs pumping up and the prv needs cleaning/replacing to resolve the pressure issues you're having.

and sounds like a wiring issue you're having, probably a loose connection to the diverter valve. the diverter valve brings the boiler on, so it's not getting power then it can't switch the boiler on.

just let a decent gsr engineer replace the offending parts and do their job, not everybody a
out there are cowboys. if you are pulling loose wires around you could blow a fuse on your system or worse short it to live and possibly injure someone in your house. stop fiddling and call in a expert, have a look at the warning in orange at the top of page please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HELP !! Bottom rads cold & a list of other things.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock