Discuss Grohe kitchen tap head removal mystery in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Would anyone know how to remove the two kitchen tap heads so that I can change the washers?

The taps are Grohe kitchen taps
There is no screw under the tap covers
There are no grub screws
I cannot pull the heads off of the tap using reasonable force.

IMG-20200610-WA0003.jpgIMG_20200610_175609.jpgIMG_20200610_175108.jpg

Isn’t the first picture a removed tap head?

Looking at that white plastic insert with the four slots- it is a pull off head.

You’ve tried reasonable force, now you’ll have to move up to unreasonable plumber’s force. If there are no grub screws and no screw under the coloured index- it’s almost certainly pull off I’m afraid.

Isn’t the first picture a removed tap head?

Looking at that white plastic insert with the four slots- it is a pull off head.

You’ve tried reasonable force, now you’ll have to move up to unreasonable plumber’s force. If there are no grub screws and no screw under the coloured index- it’s almost certainly pull off I’m afraid.
Thanks for the response.

The photo is a close up of the tap head in situ.
The photo below is probably better
WORKS_TAP_HEAD.jpg

Ah I see, yes that’s better.

Definitely pulls off.
Thanks
- the covers did pull directly off
....now the next issue
I can't unfasten - the cartridge to access the washer. Neither the hot nor cold will budge using a wrench
I have tried penetrating oil/wd 40, brute force....no joy

I did look at the tap splitter kits, but they are not designed for this type of tap.
I also tried a socket set, but the height of the spindle is too long for the socket to fit over
any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• tap_stubborn_1.jpg
    tap_stubborn_1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 11
  • tap_stubborn_2.jpg
    tap_stubborn_2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Try getting it nice and hot before trying again. I normally use my blowlamp but that can result in melting the internals if you plan on re-using the same cartridges and you aren't careful with how hot you get them. You could try pouring a slow and steady stream of hot water from a just boiled kettle over them and see if they will come out.

If I was doing this job I'd buy a "Tap Reviver" kit which comes with new half-inch cartridges and heads, blast the cartirdges hot with my blowlamp without worrying about damaging the internals as the tap reviver kit has replacements and then get them out with a big adjustable spanner and brute force.

You have the advantage of the taps being a deck-type so at least they cannot fully turn in the holes through the sink giving you loads of purchase to unscrew the cartridges.

The white plastic bit will come off, does that allow you to use socket?

If not, use your wrench and just lengthen the handle ( E.g. another wrench, a tube etc etc)
On that design tap you could hit your wrench handle with a big hammer if you like.
But a long lever on your wrench is easiest.

I’m mirroring op language, perhaps I want to be liked, I never say wrench!

JC is right a socket is better, another good alternative which you may already have is a ring spanner- again this can be persuaded with a hammer.

:)
Apologies for a late reply - but just want to thank everyone who posted responses on this thread.
I managed to loosen with a wrench (and without a hammer!). Replaced with a reviver set - just the job!

Thanks again all

Reply to Grohe kitchen tap head removal mystery in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back