Discuss Generating work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdodds2004

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Im on a push to generate some more work for my self!

What have people been trying and whats working at the moment?

Im thinking of sending a letter to all local estate agents offering a special rate on landlords ? but not sure how to approach them!

Cheers guys

any help apreciated as times are getting tough for me!

dont want to contract anymore want my own work in my own name!

Stick ads on Gumtree. I've had a bit of work off there. Update it each week and youll stay at top of listing. It's free as well.
All helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would steer clear of estate agents, far too slow in paying up for my liking.

have added a little ad on there, its says when u edit advert that it stays in the same place on on the listings? anyway to bump it?

ahh so new advert every week ill just copy the old one every friday i reckon so people see over the weekend :)

That's the way I did it pal

Fingers crossed for ya.

People are starting to advertise on eBay as well now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i have seen that not sure if i like that idea! i might try it beggers cant be choosers!

Hi cdodds2004,

I personally went down the estate agents route when the company i was subbing to told me they had no work for me with two days notice. I had a few jobs knocking around but def not enough to live on. Within two weeks i was inundated with work.

All i did was draw up a folder pack with your gas safe details, public liability insurance,price list etc etc. And went round all my letting agents within half an hour drive of my house. Don't bother sending letters or emails to people you have never spoke to as they go straight in the bin. The best thing to do is go in to the branch and ask for either the manager or whoever deals with the property maintenance. I literally struck gold doing this. Make sure whoever you talk to actually deals with gas work and your not just talking to the saturday boy who will take your card then bin it as soon as you have walked out the door.

Only drawback was i had to go drastically cheaper than any one else locally (£45 landlords cert inc service, £60 call out charge inc first hours labour). All i did was ring up loads of local competitors and find out what they were charging and undercut them all. And yes, agents can take a while to pay sometimes but as long as you keep on top with what they owe you and remind them of unpaid bills you will get paid.I personally have never had too much of a problem. If you do start working for agents find out what their charges are, as they normally charge 10% plus vat for the job, and add to your quote. I was caught out with this a couple of times.

The bulk of my work comes through letting agents and is mainly landlords certs and repairs but i have had boiler changes, full heating systems, powerflushes. Lots of nice jobs.And now i am their regular contractor i get asked to sort electrical faults, roofing and building work so i just sub it out to other contractors.

In my opinion it is the way to go. Might not be the way for you but it certainly worked for me.

cheers

yea thats what i have been doing ive been comparing prices last week, now going to do what you said and put a pack together rarther than a just a email. how many diffrent estate agents do you do work for now?

i do regular work for about 10 independent agents but some agents i contacted have property management teams have one man running 10 branches.So probably about 20 different branches in total.

Agents are fine but it is all done on cost, and they expect the world in terms of response times. I deal with a few but wouldn't want them to be a major proportion of my workload.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Generating work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Been stuck abroad for a year now. Still stuck abroad. Italian red tape is, as they say, 'something else'. I used to think regulation was about...
Replies
Views
Hello , ive recently gone out on my own, i have been working in the industry 15years now /g3 qualified and i would just like to get some advice...
Replies
Views
Good evening PlumbersForum I know this is probably the most commonly asked question but instead of looking through similar threads, maybe it...
Replies
Views
Back