Discuss Gas Testing info please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taylorz

Hi,
New to all this so please take it easy.I have been plumbing for the last 22yrs, long yrs i might add,however i am getting into a gas course in a couple of months and would like a bit of a head start. I am fine with Let -by and tightness test but would like info on how to gas rate an appliance and how to find working pressure ,are there manuals avaliable with diagrams and step by step guide etc,or someone on here with a few clues and a bit of patience explaining it all to a novice Thanks

Well when you do the course you will be given the books required that cover the items you mention,these books are not cheap ,so if you are going to do course,book in with who ever you decide to go with and if you pay a deposit,they should let you have the books in advance,that way you can study and get a bit of back ground before the course starts, as you say you want to do,otherwise you may find you purchase books at great expense and find you will be given the same books when you do your course

Good Luck

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
working is on test piont on the meter and then p1 on the appliance on full rate looking for 1 mbar drop

I purchased Bpec manuals a couple of months ago,they are very good manuals but i am after a step by step guide eg mano goes where and why? what appliance is running while test is on etc etc ,thanks for your advice all the same

put mano on test piont on meter do let-by 1 min at 10mbar,,, then up to 20mbar for 1 min heat stablization,,, then 2 min tightness at 20 mbar ,,,then open ecv on meter fully thats your standing pressure turn on ie boiler and fire it up that will give you working pressure at the meter.... should be within 19 and 23 mbar

to get working pressure at the appliance put mano onto p1 on the gas valve and fire the boiler

Hey thanks for that,just one more thing if the house has multiple appliances do i have them running at the same time while doing a test

It worries me that someone is practicing gas measurements when they have not received any gas safety training.

Tony

I purchased Bpec manuals a couple of months ago,they are very good manuals but i am after a step by step guide eg mano goes where and why? what appliance is running while test is on etc etc ,thanks for your advice all the same

be careful with the bpec book there are about 5-6 mistakes in it

It worries me that someone is practicing gas measurements when they have not received any gas safety training.

Tony

i thought that as well, the books are fine and are designed for home study, however i am not a believer in gas home study, you need to be shown and practice under supervision

Tony I suggest that you re read the thread, I am am not practising gas measurements, I am about to start a course and am trying to gather as much information prior to that as I can. So no need to be worried!!

Taylorz, Go to DIYnot forum if you fancy being belittled and shot down. You'll find lots of other supportive post from Agile over there ;-). I thought your post was quite clear. Tuttah

to taylorz this also windes me up on this site why can any one whos dont the gas safe corse just say what the books are and how use full they found them not not just KEEP putting people down who are haveing the sence to have a look to see how things work before they start the course surely its better ready some people need to study and save for the testers before they do the course thort this site was about helping and not putting people down all the time.have lost count of the time have been reading a post of good intrest to me then all you get is you should not do this because .... althoe i would never touch or do anything am not allowed to would be good to be able to read up on these thing their u go rant done love u all lol

Carpstu, agree with you to a point cocker. we'll answer general questions and gassy type questions up to a point, then we'll clam up and advise you to get someone in OR in the case of the OP ask you to pm us so we can answer in private.

We, as a whole, don't do this to belittle embarrass or show off but to protect people who haven't the presence of mind to think "That's beyond my capabilities, I'll get someone in!" and we both know there's more than enough of those people around!

I'll help anyone, I firmly believe knowledge is to be shared, not hoarded.

Oh, and love u too! xxxx

I totally agree!

Unfortunately we all know that people DO have a go at practicing gas work when they are on a course or hoping to go on one. Then there are the DIYers who have no intention of going on any course and just glean whatever they can and try to do it themselves!

Last night I went to a kitchen with a new hob fitted by a builder's plumber. There was a serious gas leak and he had badly burnt the back of the unit! That was not even a DIYer but a plumber doing this work every day!

Tony

To the person who said "suprising if a gas engineer asks this and doesnt know"

More like he needs RECAPPING not that he doesnt know, c'mon each and everyone of us doesnt know how to do EVERYTHING, have ALL measurements, pressures, fault codes, etc etc all logged solidly in our head! Its the basics where you know how to do stuff safe and know that the appliance and checks are safe.

As to gas rating, im moving from total installs to commissioning, fault finding parts where i will use most likely a total different way to gas rate than the rest of you. As long as you get the same result at the end your all right

When i was serving my time the engineer told me i had to copy literally the EXACT way he piped up a boiler. This is a example that everybody does plumbing a different way

Good luck to the bloke for asking! If you dont know ask, as crockie said, information to a point! Then will need to be PM'ed or 'get a engineer'

put mano on test piont on meter do let-by 1 min at 10mbar,,, then up to 20mbar for 1 min heat stablization,,, then 2 min tightness at 20 mbar ,,,then open ecv on meter fully thats your standing pressure turn on ie boiler and fire it up that will give you working pressure at the meter.... should be within 19 and 23 mbar

to get working pressure at the appliance put mano onto p1 on the gas valve and fire the boiler

Y are you talking about gas on an open forum ?? I don't understand ??

Lol ther will be some explosions and gas leaks this weekend! - more work for us :p

your gas book will not be as basic step by step guide to where the mano tube goes etc, cause to be blunt you dont need advice at that low a level, you are going to do a full course so the trainer will discuss and demo what you need to know as you go through, everything will be fine, if you are commited enough to learn and are clever enough to learn plumbing you can learn gas, it isnt hard, dont listen to some on here who profess its a difficult job to do haha, 'mon the plumbers

i just realised i commented on this last year, didnt realise it was an old one, who dug this up again and why haha

I always feel we go about learning gas the wrong way around. We seem to fail to learn the technology its based on and instead follow instructions as laid down in some book or other, which is really doing things by memory not understanding.

A very basic gas safety test for instance is only a way of detecting gas escaping out of a sealed system. A bit like detecting air escaping out of a balloon, it is not particle science. We go on about how much millibar drop this or that should be, instead of realising that if the manometer had no markings at all on. A U shaped column of water connected on one side to a sealed system dropping on one side shows a leak of some kind and it rising shows something is getting into the system, usually gas passing a closed valve.

A flue smoke test is the same kind of thing but using smoke to detect any leaks in the flue. Lets stop reading complication into simple things.

Hello Taylorz & :welcome: As you have been Plumbing for 22 years do you not have any mates who are Gas Safe , that you can go out with on a few jobs to see how these things are done and what equipment you need ! dont go buying to meny books just yet, you could buy the Viper book but this is a bit pricey try and get hold of the Corgi essential gas safety book (6th Edition) its about £20.00 will give you loads of information.

With the amount of comedians on this site it should be renamed the uk comedy forum !:joker:

your gas book will not be as basic step by step guide to where the mano tube goes etc, cause to be blunt you dont need advice at that low a level, you are going to do a full course so the trainer will discuss and demo what you need to know as you go through, everything will be fine, if you are commited enough to learn and are clever enough to learn plumbing , you can learn gas, it isnt hard, dont listen to some on here who profess its a difficult job to do haha, 'mon the plumbers

no such thing as bad student, only bad teacher :wink5: haha

Not in terms of alcoholic measures no Tom. 7 is nearly 10 results in punch in face!

In commercial we go 50% of the standing pressure but then we've elevated pressures to deal with. So 10mbar on a domestic installation looks right to me for letby pressure.

Why am I commenting on this? It's a dead thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Testing info please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back