Discuss gas safe register probation site visit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not stupid ok i no all safety checks to carry out im just not a book worm like yourself who can remember all reg numbers and paragraphs:D

i'm not a bookworm, i am a fully qualified, fully experienced gas engineer, who now works as a lecturer/assessor who moved into this field beacuse i am good at the job, who knows all the basic safety checks, rules and regs to carry out my work safely, as should you, you are right there are many engineers who work well and cant quote all the regs by numbers, but the basic reg that gets most engineers is 26(9) so its content/recognition should be second nature to anyone who has passed ACS

i'm not a bookworm, i am a fully qualified, fully experienced gas engineer, who now works as a lecturer/assessor who moved into this field beacuse i am good at the job, who knows all the basic safety checks, rules and regs to carry out my work safely, as should you, you are right there are many engineers who work well and cant quote all the regs by numbers, but the basic reg that gets most engineers is 26(9) so its content/recognition should be second nature to anyone who has passed ACS

ok point taken maybe i should no this reg number. but most important thing is i can quote all safety checks and carry them out compotently this is the thing that matters just cant quote which number it is but this is the reason i carry the instalation and use regs with me in van.
im not saying this describes you ok. but i had a lecturer for 4 years who could quote all these bs numbers and reg numbers and tell you what they were from his head.
who was a completely rubbish plumber / gas engineer and was lecturing because he wouldnt last 2 mins out there in real world.
so works both ways i suppose. :p

remember the old saying "those that can do .those that cant teach"

Had mine yesterday i was worried about it but to be honest there really is nowt to it.
It is all about weather u can work safe
ie if u have douts about pressure's u can ring manufacturer or gas safe tech line.
There is nothing to be ashamed of if u cant remember wots in the books there is to much info,written by lawyers not engineers for anyone to remember everything but they want to know u can route out the required info.
My inspector explained his job to me big emphasis on there to work with u not against also big push on cpa1 and how things will be changing and finally there minimum expectation from u in always haveing correct paperwork,warning lables,gauge ldf threre not bothered about cordless drills etc,they just want to know that u have wot u need to leave a property safe if needed,not wether u can repair the boiler.
Then to meter cupboard for tightness test asking to explain what iam checking ie handle on ecv/on/off tape /anaconda not strained & no corrosion/meter for corrosion/earth bonding/govener seal intact
seal on downstream pipe exiting box, then carry out test.
how would i confirm let by?
How would i class(unsafe sits)if pipe exiting box wasnt sealed and what i would do.
Then looked at boiler i had installed checking flue/prv and benchmark
How i had commision it answer is not removed cover etc but to manufacturers instructions.
then asked why with some boilers u have to anaylise and some u dont
answer is dependant on type of gas valve fitted ie zero rated gov ornot
He also said first impressions count if he sees a boiler and all pipework is crossed and looks a mess they will go further than if its a nice neat job!
Hope this helps, he was a really sound guy,in saying that i was also worried but try to select a job that your comfortable with as opposed to one u had loads of problems with
GOOD LUCK Paul

remember the old saying "those that can do .those that cant teach"

ok steve, who taught you then, i dont have to prove to anyone what i can do, i have worked in the industry for 32yrs and know what i am capable of, i am familiar with the phrase you quote, and having worked on a lot of sites and maintenance contracts for different companies, and now as a trainer/assessor it would scare you to see some of the guys i have seen who are gas qualified and are out there doing the work, then perhaps you are right cause these guys must have had crap teachers as their work standards and attitude are absolutely crap

ok steve, who taught you then, i dont have to prove to anyone what i can do, i have worked in the industry for 32yrs and know what i am capable of, i am familiar with the phrase you quote, and having worked on a lot of sites and maintenance contracts for different companies, and now as a trainer/assessor it would scare you to see some of the guys i have seen who are gas qualified and are out there doing the work, then perhaps you are right cause these guys must have had crap teachers as their work standards and attitude are absolutely crap

lol calm down... i will give you your respect after all you have driven around & delivered calor gas to customers homes for 32 years.
now you are teaching the other delivery men to paint the canisters RESPECT ;)

rag 3 paragraph 12
dont spill any paint

thread is now on watch lads, keep it nice.
know what i mean, know what i mean rodders!.

lol calm down... i will give you your respect after all you have driven around & delivered calor gas to customers homes for 32 years.
now you are teaching the other delivery men to paint the canisters RESPECT ;)

rag 3 paragraph 12
dont spill any paint

time for me to chill i think:)
respect to anyone who carries those big cylinders about, a primus 2000 is about my limit these days:D

my teacher told us u dont need to know all the regs by head, but u should know where to find them

my teacher told us u dont need to know all the regs by head, but u should know where to find them

see techers do know what they are talking about, very good advice you got, very few people will be able to learn all the regs, but the trick is to learn all the basic things you need to do every day and know where to find the rest

Sorry to Hijack.

Garry38, I reckon i know you, same college up here in Scotland, lets not mention it just yet. Our lecturer in the college was an absolute nightmare, and still at his same old tricks leading students up the garden path, saying NVQ2,3 is very easy to complete, when in fact there was plenty to organise and keep evidence for.

Im in the process of gaining gas experience to qualify for ACS, which i hope to take in the summer.

Looks like a decent forum guys, keep up the good work.

Al

had gas safe visit there really was straight forward they were not out to catch me out and really helpful...
was really dreading it before but as i no all checks etc to carry out and everything i need to no it went realy well. :D

Sorry to Hijack.

Garry38, I reckon i know you, same college up here in Scotland, lets not mention it just yet. Our lecturer in the college was an absolute nightmare, and still at his same old tricks leading students up the garden path, saying NVQ2,3 is very easy to complete, when in fact there was plenty to organise and keep evidence for.

Im in the process of gaining gas experience to qualify for ACS, which i hope to take in the summer.

Looks like a decent forum guys, keep up the good work.

Al

send me private message to see if i no you....

Last edited by a moderator:
Garry, I cant sent private message as you need minimum of 5 posts :mad:.

Im glad your visit went well with you inspector, fantastic news. ;).

Take a look at the username Garry, the clue is in there.

I'll text you later if you cant guess.

Al

A bit worried now!!! My gas part supplier informs me that I need a gas annalyser for the gas inspection !!!
I can't see why?
It is not a regulation (yet) and I use flame picture and gas rates to determine safety of appliances anyway.
Can anyone clarify this???????
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe register probation site visit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back