Discuss gas safe register probation site visit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

garry38

hi there im a plumber / gas engineer and recently went self employed and got my own gas safe registration.
Now after working for 3 months gas safe want to visit one of my jobs to inspect my work.
Well my question is are they strict on everything such as if the working pressure is slightly more than 1mbar of difference between meter and appliances etc on say a new heating system.
do they ask lots of questions? is it like an exam?
do they expect you to go around radiators with thermometers and a flow cup at taps when they are there?
I wnt to be prepared and ready for the inspection.

Beleive it all depends how you wen't about getting your license. Did u serve a apprentaship? or just get the evidence and buy in.

Mine was straight forward, only one question he asked! Didnt ask for evidance, wanted me to go through Reg26(9) and tada, he was off.

i served a 4 year apprenticeship in plumbing and mostly only install heating systems cookers and fires. i dont really do many servicing of appliances or safety checks etc.
what i mean is does he have you taking burner pressures and gas rating etc and checking working pressures etc

im in scotland aswell so reg 26 and tada might be english thing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
my check was in june and I took my assessor to a boiler install I did the week before. He watched me do let by test and pressure checks on the valve/pipework, then did a gas rate on the boiler, asked about pressure drops allowable on the meter as the system stood then back home for coffee/tea. Simples Dont panic they are not trying to catch you out just make sure you are safe.

Exactly same as mine, except i did it on a fire so the obvious flue flow checks and spillage were necasary.

what i mean is the working pressure at meter is 22 and the working pressure at the appliance is 20.5 it is a new instalation and from what i no it is only meant to be 1mbar of difference not 1.5 i done pipe sizing and my pipe size is more than enough and nothing is blocking the pipe i put in however the way the pipe comes out the meter i cant get into cean a part of pipework that was installed years ago.
will i get into trouble for this? or will it be fine as it is 20.5 and the boiler only requires 20mbar
ive spoke with other gas engineers i no and they said it would be fine but thats what they say about everything you ask

reg 26 an english thing:( c'mon now, i think you need to have a right good look at your books before the GSR inspector comes to visit, reg 26(9) specifically relates to the safety checks you MUST do after doing gas work, and should be easily recognisable to you, re your inspection you will be asked a few questions about safety work no interest in rad temps etc, but the more you know the less he will ask you, ie if you answer well and quickly he will ask you a few questions, if you struggle on basica you will get asked a lot more as he needs to ensure you do know what you are on about

what i mean is the working pressure at meter is 22 and the working pressure at the appliance is 20.5 it is a new instalation and from what i no it is only meant to be 1mbar of difference not 1.5 i done pipe sizing and my pipe size is more than enough and nothing is blocking the pipe i put in however the way the pipe comes out the meter i cant get into cean a part of pipework that was installed years ago.
will i get into trouble for this? or will it be fine as it is 20.5 and the boiler only requires 20mbar
ive spoke with other gas engineers i no and they said it would be fine but thats what they say about everything you ask
its where your taking the preasure measurement from at the appliance means at the point of entry to the applianc ie inlet of gas cock youll be measureing at the gas valve internally so there will be a diffence as preasure is lost through the vaves a lot of manufacturers give an allowanc for this allowing boilers to be run at 17mb internal test point

its where your taking the preasure measurement from at the appliance means at the point of entry to the applianc ie inlet of gas cock youll be measureing at the gas valve internally so there will be a diffence as preasure is lost through the vaves a lot of manufacturers give an allowanc for this allowing boilers to be run at 17mb internal test point

17mb at inlet of appliance i have never seen this in any manufacturers instructions though ?

17mb at inlet of appliance i have never seen this in any manufacturers instructions though ?

It is possible to have a legal inlet presure at appliance of only 14 m/b and by rights the manufactorers should design thier boilers to this specification,but they seem to work on 20m/b,that is their error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe register probation site visit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock