Search the forum,

Discuss Annual Gas Safety Boiler Inspection Check in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Is this check just to turn on the hot water tap in the bathroom, keep the water running for a few minutes in order to see that the boiler is working, verbally say everything is fine and leave the customer's property after 20 minutes getting paid £ 90 to do so. No kind of tests were undertaken for gas pressure/co2 etc, nor was any kind of written inspection report left . This is what happened recently. This was done for a private non commercial/non landlord premise. Is there any kind of standard step by step check which reputable gas engineers should be doing? I booked the job through a registered gas safe engineer, but someone else was sent to do the job. I also asked a simple question about how to read the units on the gas smart meter outside but the engineer said he did not know?!. To put it mildly, something smells very fishy and clearly I have been done over like a kipper. Any advice about how to proceed next?

You would normall get a CP12 sheet or a digital copy
Did you ask to see his gas safe card?
Thankyou, Sorry, I had no idea I should have asked to see the gas card to begin with and at no point did he produce it. I presumed booking the job through a registered gas safe engineer was adequate reassurance.

Thankyou, Sorry, I had no idea I should have asked to see the gas card to begin with and at no point did he produce it. I presumed booking the job through a registered gas safe engineer was adequate reassurance.
How did you find them?
Gas safe website?

Many of the checks are visual but the gas meter would need to be accessed, front of boiler removed etc etc

As above get your top copy of the cp12 and check gas safe number on website and confirm engineer. You may be unaware of tests he was carrying out. 20 mins is quick but maybe I am slow.
Thankyou, yes I googled for gas heating services, found a local one, went on their website, checked they were definitely registered the gas safe website, but like I say someone else turned up for the job. I will request the cp12 as I presume that engineer who came must be the only person allowed to sign off the cp12. Btw, yes I did see that the bottom of the boiler front had been dropped open by the hinges but afterwards had not been shut back correctly as it was jutting out and not flush.

No other gas appliances in property, only gas boiler, btw, the engineer did not enquire if there were any other gas appliances.
Boiler only, a property I have been to before and a modern appliance - I would take about 30 minutes.
This would involve paperwork and print outs from the flue gas analyser

Any advice about how to proceed next?

What did you actually ask them to do?

You probably wanted an "Annual service by a Gas Safe Registered engineer undertaken with due regard to the boiler manufacturer’s instructions."

In my part of the world (the SW) a £100 incl VAT to a reputable small independent gets you something along these lines:

https://hhic.org.uk/uploads/5A9689D92F5B0.pdf

during a visit that lasts the best part of an hour. (Perhaps a bit less if they are really focused, don't chat and decline your kind offer of coffee.)

So they are doing “drive by “ CP12 ‘s now .

The cowboys my landlord employs are in and out in 10min max, have since found out why, the minute he heard I was doing my gas safe training he asked me if I would be able to do it for less than the £25 he currently pays! Needless to say I told him to jog on as I would not be looking to cut corners which is only way you can do them for that sort of money. He got BG to do our most recent one as he managed to get it done for free (by pretending someone else was the landlord...), they condemned the cooker as it went out on simmer & the SSOV didn't work, it had been like that since we moved in 7-8yrs ago, not one of them checked and not one of them checked the combi with an analyser!

The boiler in question is an Ariston micogenus 28. I did not see any flue analyser being used by the engineer. I suppose the issue too is can work be contracted out to other third parties. I expected to see the engineer who I booked the job through. His web site states he is a sole trader, not one of the websites where you can book a gas/ch job and they can send anyone.

If the boiler is old, you can do a burner pressure and not an Gas rate and output rating. Even though I do a tightness on every landlords or service it isn’t law on a landlords (stupid I know)
You would still want to visually check the meter, reg, ECV, pipework etc though.

The boiler in question is an Ariston micogenus 28, about 9 years old. I did not see any flue analyser being used by the engineer. I suppose the issue too is can work be contracted out to other third parties. I expected to see the engineer who I booked the job through. Web site states he is a sole trader, not one of those call centre websites where you can book a gas/ch job and they can send anyone.
Maybe he was ill and didn’t want to let you down?
Best to get in contact and ask about your paperwork. If you are not happy you can ask if he is willing to return

Reply to Annual Gas Safety Boiler Inspection Check in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock