Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smtplumbing

All right guys, I have been kicking my heals in the sand and not fitting them but i have had a few come in for the next few weeks. Long Long time i have not installed them i have my gas fires on my gas card which is not hassle at all.

So one fire is a baxi BBU replaced with a fire, customer wants to fit a new living flame fire after the bbu unit is removed the old boiler has a stainless flue am i able to re use and how do i go about fixing the flue to the fire,(fluebox?) The fire the customer is looking at is a living flame which has a letter box exit at the back, Do i use a flue box or seal off the area round the flue so the stainless liner is only showing.

Or a totally new install would you put a new stainless liner down or just get the chimney swept.

Also Women in my street has bought a house which a new stainless liner put down before she bought the house but how ever installed it just cut fire board round the 5" flue and you can still get you hand up the side of the fire board no glass wool etc what is the best way to do a correct install

Thanks guys any help would be great full

you cannot use a existing liner any liner must have a working life of 15 years a old one wont they often go porous and pin hole at the top and dont believe anyone who says there's been a new one fitted,you have to bolt a fire on to it,you have to guarantee its integrity,you take responsibility for it ,the best way to fit a liner(if its needed) is either using a fluebox if its a outset(be careful here not all will fit the box) or if its a inset building your own brick chamber out of site using the type of canopy bes sell and cementing it to the brickwork

In the first instance I would whip the liner out and get the chimney swept. Flue flow and crack on.

On the second, I can't quite picture what you mean, have they made a register plate out of fire board but not sealed it on the edges?

Last edited:
this type of canopy
Debris Plate

10804.gif
To be used within the chimney above the appliance to prevent debris falling onto the appliance. 610 mm x 450 mm.
Part No.DescriptionUnit PriceQty
10804Debris plateÂŁ15.53

I'd pull it out and test the chimney before doing anything else. It may not need lined.

Gas Man :- i would rip an old one out no hassle (well my roofer would lol) I defo know there has been a new liner put down the chimney at the womens house long the road as the neighbours said they had to gain access to there own roof and put the cone was still on the liner. Her fire she has bought spigot restriction i have include what she has sent me lucy fire .jpg

Norstum looks ruff as france lol they have jammed fire board round the 5" liner to try seal the chimney breast.

Gas Man can you use the canoy instead of a flue box,

Tamz would not get it swept just in case ( one fire was used for burning wood before a joiners house lol)

you no any chimney sweeps,

Ps thanks for the stuff on friday had Worcester out today at the boiler had knacked diverter, the boy said what a good job i did of the flue with all the clamps.

Seal up the bottom of stack with hardboard and prs10. Get on roof ( as you need to be up there to remove liner) using a ÂŁ29 drainrod and brush hammer the hell out of stack. Every time you add a rod give it 3 up and downs , telly clean stack. Wen done wait 20 mins remove board and simply shovel away soot. Liners are a ball ache. If u can simply fit LFE to opening. You will need a pot on top with a bird cage as the existing cheese grater won't do.

Odd one , normally fixing issues of spillage or bbu jobs. Cleaned many flues. Modified and fitted chimney inc gatherer to fit stupid inset thing 900mm up wall in place of bbu.

you will prob need to knock out and brick up after the bbu has been removed, if theres a surround to fit i tend to try and leave it for a builder and just fit the fire.

Unless you have swept one before then get a sweep in, by the time you have got some rods and wrecked a hoover you will wish you had not tried :). A good sweep will test the chimney and even camera it if theres any problems.

gas man do you still use fire glass wool above the canopy also how do you seal the sides of the canopy at the brick?

I called a few boys today so i just get them to do it feck me doing that lol awheating they said that they will test it

Turn it down at bricks. Fire silicone and screws at 75mm centers.

First read the manufacturer instructions for your flue options. If it does require lining, its likely to be a minimum 125mm dia flue. I would always try to use a fire box as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock