Discuss Frozen Pipe remedies!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISM

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I am confident that we have all been busy attending FROZEN pipes this month and there isnt much in the forums with regards to thawing pipes out for our non plumbers.

So I just want to gain some best practice from those that have attended frozen pipes and what maintenance steps did you take to try and resolve?
Any feedback would be welcome, cheers

Ross
:cool:

The best cure is prevention .. the practices of burying service pipes min 750mm deep and keeping pipes away from eaves and outside walls generally appears to have been forgotten due to the relatively mild winters in recent decades .. now there are all sorts of problems cropping up as a result. With most house having loft insulation there is not as much heat transfer into the roofspace thus the temp will more easily get below freezing despite the heating being on. Better to put the insulation above the pipes/tanks if possible.

Anyway remedies would depend on the circumstances .. if a service pipe then not much you can do to thaw it.. just have to wait and make sure there is no leak when it does thaw .. check the meter regularly. If in the loft then I usually turn the water off drain what can be drained and get a heater up there and make a "tent" with a tarp or blankets nailed to the rafters around the area where the pipes/tanks are and just try to keep the temp above freezing. once its thawed turn the water on slowy and check for leaks .. Resist the temptation to use your blowlamp unless you take fire precautions .. extinguisher or fire blanket to hand.

I would be interested to know also how many condensing boilers have failed due to freezing conditions I have had a few locally but I believe it may be a big problem nationally .. all comments welcome!!

Happy New Year To all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Frozen Pipe remedies!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock