Discuss Flue inspection hatches.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

3083sam

Gas Engineer
Hi,
Where is the best place to get the fire resistant inspection hatches for flues??

Regarding the fire resistance requirement of inspection panels.

My take on TB008 Edition 2. I believe it deals primarily with Open and twin flue systems and doesn't deal adequately with flues from condensing boilers running in existing ducting.

Also, why use an inspection panel with one hour fire resistance fitted into an existing plasterboard and timber construction?

I've made some enquiries and spoke to a really helpful Gas Safe inspector regarding my own quite specific concern.

It seems that common sense prevails when dealing with an existing enclosed FF flue within a single room (a kitchen in my case). Inspection panels are still required but they don't have to be of one hour fire resistance.

Seems to me that if in doubt, phone gas safe, they have gone well up in my estimation!!

I hear what you are saying but suspect the fire brigade are also the other people to clarify whats what as to how these access panels could transfer smoke and fire through these voids which I am sure gas safe have taken into account

it is not free to advertise on this site,read the FAQ and seek permission from admin if you wish to advertise in future thank you gas man

Last edited by a moderator:
the fire rating will depend on the route of the flue and the building construction. Building regs requires (not so much gas regs) anybody who runs something through a wall or structure must keep the fire rating of the wall in tact. So in theroy if you drill a hole through a 1hour fire rated wall then you must ensure that it still has a 1 hour fire rating after the work is completed, a 4 hour ceiling must meet a 4 hour fire rating after your works finished etc.... etc.....

Last edited:
was sent to a job

5 flats in a listed georgian building, all the flues are vertical as per planning permission

All the flues go up through the flat above via ducting (except for the top flat of course)

whats the chances of having access all to 5 flats at the same time to inspect theses a access panels:rant:

It took me a week to get access to put CO alarms in

I tried to explain to my boss putting in the alarms make it legal for now, however next year it wont be
but i'm sure he didnt understand

I have fitted plastic vents to about 10 flats with concealed flues through suspended ceilings, concrete floors above so no need for fire resistant hatches.

If the truth be known, cutting inspection panels in ductwork passing through flats above probably causes more risks.

Last edited by a moderator:
was sent to a job

5 flats in a listed georgian building, all the flues are vertical as per planning permission

All the flues go up through the flat above via ducting (except for the top flat of course)

whats the chances of having access all to 5 flats at the same time to inspect theses a access panels:rant:

It took me a week to get access to put CO alarms in

I tried to explain to my boss putting in the alarms make it legal for now, however next year it wont be
but i'm sure he didnt understand
Going to be a bit of a logistical nightmare, but you will need to plan it to get everyone in on same day so you can inspect the full flue run.
Glad its not me.:tongue:

Going to be a bit of a logistical nightmare, but you will need to plan it to get everyone in on same day so you can inspect the full flue run.
thats the theory, real life aint going to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue inspection hatches.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back