Search the forum,

Discuss drain cleaning chemicals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

got a job next week,

there is a 8 meter straight run under flooring through kitchen and bedroom of 40mm proberbly pushfit.
it is a straight run to the upstand to the sink trap and it is running slow, the run of only appears to be 8'' over all as its within the joists. i may be able to rod gently most of it and use chemical cleaner. the waste serves the kitchen sink and w/m.
any thought of which chemical preferance or methods?..
apparently it has been done a couple of times before with simular problems so a re-accuring one.
thoughts welcome.

I'd be tempted to use a snake on it.. unless thats what you mean by gently rodding it?

Hi Caustic soda is useful for this sort of problem. But it can be dangerous when using as the rapid action when in contact with water can burn your skin / eyes. Good Luck

defo would use a decent drain snake. I unblock drains and sinks everyday and im very anti chemical, never use them as they will wreck the waste pipe system! Snake it from the kitchen sink.

defo would use a decent drain snake. I unblock drains and sinks everyday and im very anti chemical, never use them as they will wreck the waste pipe system! Snake it from the kitchen sink.
a bit difficult that as the pipe is in the corner wall of the cabinets, disapearing down through the floor then into a 90 bend running 8m to outside?.

Hi. With a wash machine attached to the waste, they usually keep clean. However with such a long run the chances are if poorly fixed and acts like a giant trap holding water when nothing is using it.

You can access the kitchen sink trap? if you want to spend the money on a good drain snake then it would travel around all the elbows etc work its way down the pipe.If the pipe runs into a gulley outside, you could try snaking it upstream from there. Ive got a ridgid hand spinner drain snake k-25, never let me down :) and it has 7 or 8m of cable i think.Just depends on if you would want to spend ÂŁ100 rather than the crappy ÂŁ20 drain snakes they sell in b&q.

well thats it really, i dont normally do this work often perhaps once a month including blocked loo's. usually i just replace new pipe work or plunge.
sods law i gave a price for the hour plus new externalls to drain for ÂŁ60 and she took it. so ÂŁ100 on gear wont pay for itself in my case. i recon there is a sag in the run and its collecting fats.
my initial thought was bung some chemicals in then shove a line from down stream to drag the scum out?.

Some one shot or spirits of salts (hydrochloric acid) will disolve most things and not harm the plastic. Wear gloves and don't breathe the fumes.

I recently tried a chemical called Knockout on my own kitchen sink drain and worked a treat.

ps. be careful though if you use it cause pretty potent stuff

tried the knock out today (sulphuric acid).

word of caution, pouring down plug hole causes flash back eruption and attacks the stainless steel.
only pour down pipes.

dangerous stuff.

a few good lung fulls not very nice either.

tried the knock out today (sulphuric acid).

word of caution, pouring down plug hole causes flash back eruption and attacks the stainless steel.
only pour down pipes.

dangerous stuff.

a few good lung fulls not very nice either.

Small bump.
Used OneShot yesterday to try and clear a very stubborn blockage. Disconnected trap and attached extension to drain pipework in order to pour in cleaner. I was holding the pipe whilst the chemical was being poured in when there was a sudden flashback. In the movement to get out of the way, the bottle was dropped. When it hit the ground there was large splash out from the top of it which hit me square in the face. Safety glasses stopped it going directly into my eyes but they were powerless as the fluid ran down my face. It felt like a roofers blowtorch was blasting straight into my face. I was blindly led downstairs and had my face stuck under the sink tap.

There was one heck of a lot of screaming followed by full shock mode followed by a swift ride in an ambulance under full lights and sirens. They had to cut some of my clothes off as the fluid had burnt through them and caused minor burns on my torso.

In all my 50 years I have never felt a pain like I did for about two hours solid. I was very lucky that the fluid never got directly into my eyes but my eyelids took a bit of a beating. I have been left with a blackened face where a layer of skin has been burnt off like instant sunburn.

It was a complete split-second accident that could have been so much worse if I had not been quickly soaked with water.

Unbelievably, 5 hours after it happened, apart from stinging eyes caused by the two litres of water that was flushed into them, I was pretty much pain free and just looked like I needed a wash up.
Face feels a bit tight this morning but that is all.

Moral of story is, Don't use chemicals.

p.s. Have since heard that the drain is still blocked!

Small bump.
Used OneShot yesterday to try and clear a very stubborn blockage. Disconnected trap and attached extension to drain pipework in order to pour in cleaner. I was holding the pipe whilst the chemical was being poured in when there was a sudden flashback. In the movement to get out of the way, the bottle was dropped. When it hit the ground there was large splash out from the top of it which hit me square in the face. Safety glasses stopped it going directly into my eyes but they were powerless as the fluid ran down my face. It felt like a roofers blowtorch was blasting straight into my face. I was blindly led downstairs and had my face stuck under the sink tap.

There was one heck of a lot of screaming followed by full shock mode followed by a swift ride in an ambulance under full lights and sirens. They had to cut some of my clothes off as the fluid had burnt through them and caused minor burns on my torso.

In all my 50 years I have never felt a pain like I did for about two hours solid. I was very lucky that the fluid never got directly into my eyes but my eyelids took a bit of a beating. I have been left with a blackened face where a layer of skin has been burnt off like instant sunburn.

It was a complete split-second accident that could have been so much worse if I had not been quickly soaked with water.

Unbelievably, 5 hours after it happened, apart from stinging eyes caused by the two litres of water that was flushed into them, I was pretty much pain free and just looked like I needed a wash up.

wow! you was lucky by the sound of it!..or un lucky?

and to think joe blogs can walk into bnq and pick some up!!!!!!!!!

p.s hope you sent your bill in ?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what redsaw said.
In my line of work it`s one of the first questions I ask and I know within 5mins when the gloves go all sticky if their lying to me

+1 on what redsaw said.
In my line of work it`s one of the first questions I ask and I know within 5mins when the gloves go all sticky if their lying to me

yup, that mr muscles a pig too as i have been to a few with the suspision!.
good idea asking if owts been put down before.

Small bump.

One Shot FTW... you have to watch out for it though ;)

yup, that mr muscles a pig too as i have been to a few with the suspision!.
good idea asking if owts been put down before.

They all are even the cheap ones will burn you.

I`ve used both One-Shot and Dambuster(s) and both are very strong & dangerous in the wrong hands but mix em together and add water ??????????

There was one i used that was in someones kitchen and it gave off a nice big cloud of chlorine when it hit the trap... right into my windpipe bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblllllluueeerrgggghhhhh

May be will should move this to the Gass safe forum then

IDCHAPPY; bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblllllluueeerrgggghhhhh[/QUOTE said:
No idea what that means in english Ian can you tell me in the morning lol

I occasionally use one shot on urinals. And if I'm feeling especially nasty I lock the apprentice in with the fumes.

9 out of 10 chemicals that say theyre drain cleaners are a load of garbage and are false advertising, its like saying that a sticky toffee puding will help u loose weight,
My views are that unless there are warning labels on the back then waist of time, it must have ,

well maybe not radioactive but you get my drift, must posses the goods to EAT the carp away,

I use one called MELT by faren chemicals, it's never let me down.

Not my best look!
And it's my wedding anniversary today but the romantic dinner is off. For some reason I don't really fancy a flame grilled steak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 27
You're a lucky man mate :O
I take it you'll be sticking to the old fashioned methods now then?
Get well soon

Glad your ok mate as said you could of come off a lot worse, I've only in the past year started to wear gloves and goggles, not proud to say it but I just thought I didn't need them glad you had them on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drain cleaning chemicals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock