Search the forum,

Discuss Does anyone use a Borescope to inspect flues in voids? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
yet there seems to be no definitive answer to a simple question.
This thread is proof in point.

It is clear it the TB 008 (Edition 2), have a look.
You have to work with the latest info.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mountainmanI'm open to correction but if a preexisting flue in a void does not have inspection panels then the installation would be classed as NCS, not AR.
Plus, in my opinion, a remote camera view could not come close to a proper visual inspection.

Can it not be NCS untill 31/12/2012??

It can be but only if it passes the risk assessment, ie carbon monoxide alarms in every room along the flue route and the parts of the flue u can see have to be fitted perfectly. It's much easier for a flue to fail than it is to Pass the risk assesment

Here's how I'm proceeding ATM.
Pre 2013
•Flue in void, no hatches, no co alarm/s for every room/space, visible flue ok = AR
•flue in void, no hatches, co alarms in every room, visible flue ok = NCS
•flue in void, no hatches, co alarms in every room, visible flue has NCS 's = AR

The last bullet point could be up for debate slightly

Post 2013
No hatches = AR no matter if co alarms fitted. Although if stains are visible on voided space (gyproc or whatever material) then its ID until proven the flue is not at fsult

It can be but only if it passes the risk assessment, ie carbon monoxide alarms in every room along the flue route and the parts of the flue u can see have to be fitted perfectly. It's much easier for a flue to fail than it is to Pass the risk assesment

Just trying to say that Kirkgas is not always correct as he keeps telling us, it can be NCS.

im not fighting kirk,s battles he,s big enough and ugly enough to do that but as i have been to carry out test in a flat with a broken flue you start to work backwards to defend the installer this one had a baby going to a hospital for oxyhaemglobin test and lawyers to screw are all about so do you print off that 14 page assesment and fill them out and keep them its a hard battle to fight so being a coward i go for hatches that is the practical approach i feel what do others think

Hatches all the way, it's the safest option for both onsite GSR eng and customer alike. We can sleep sound at night knowing the 'would be flue' is safe as houses and the cust can also sleep in the knowledge that we have ok'd the flue rather than "it might be ok but as we can't see it u can use the boiler at ur own peril I u wish"

All it means is that private customers will stop the guys coming to service their appliances, or worst case scenario is they will get a dodgy gas man in or have a go at doing it themselves.
Here is a little question, in theory the flue could get damaged the day after an inspection, so could be loosing P.O.C into the said flue boxing for best part of 12 months. If it was sealed before up into loft, this would more than likely have been safe for the home owner as no P.O.C into the main living areas. If you then put these hatches in for inspection, the P.OC could then be loose around the house if these hatches are not 100% sealed (and we know they wont be), may have an hatch in kids bedrooms etc.

Hatches all the way, it's the safest option for both onsite GSR eng and customer alike. We can sleep sound at night knowing the 'would be flue' is safe as houses and the cust can also sleep in the knowledge that we have ok'd the flue rather than "it might be ok but as we can't see it u can use the boiler at ur own peril I u wish"

All we know is that it was safe at time of inspection, but now we have potentially serious holes in the flue boxing, maybe in kids rooms etc for the flue products to leak out from if the flue gets damaged in between services.
I can see the good point in being able to inspect whole of flue and joints, but I can also see the potential hazards.

Excellent points, guess who would end up out of work and in court arguing the folly of opening an inspection access into a void.
Is there a BS EN Specification for access panels??

All it means is that private customers will stop the guys coming to service their appliances, or worst case scenario is they will get a dodgy gas man in or have a go at doing it themselves.
Here is a little question, in theory the flue could get damaged the day after an inspection, so could be loosing P.O.C into the said flue boxing for best part of 12 months. If it was sealed before up into loft, this would more than likely have been safe for the home owner as no P.O.C into the main living areas. If you then put these hatches in for inspection, the P.OC could then be loose around the house if these hatches are not 100% sealed (and we know they wont be), may have an hatch in kids bedrooms etc.

It's The same for a gas safety/landlord inspection or even a car mot. There's not alot u can do about that

Just trying to say that Kirkgas is not always correct as he keeps telling us, it can be NCS.

if i supported another footy team i would be paranoid haha
i responded in a light hearted manner to anothers post, ? in reply to what i answered, the comment was about it being NCS, he didnt mention CO alarms so i went on the current TB which i understand completely, so based on his comments its AR, take a chill pill hales

Last edited by a moderator:
if i supported another footy team i would be paranoid haha
i responded in a light hearted manner to anothers post, why have i put your nose out of joint? have i rebukked you too many times? in reply to what i answered, the comment was about it being NCS, he didnt mention CO alarms so i went on the current TB which i understand completely, so based on his comments its AR, take a chill pill hales

Just by saying you are always right, you were incorrect and should not be telling people things that are not correct, you should know better.

Back to co alarms,most are not suitable in bathrooms due to moisture,so all flues in boxing through bathroom,which there are many,have to be inspection hatched now or AR ?

Someone mentioned to me the other day,you can fit one in the room(s) next to bathroom,is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to co alarms,most are not suitable in bathrooms due to moisture,so all flues in boxing through bathroom,which there are many,have to have inspection hatched now or AR ?

Someone mentioned to me the other day,you can fit one in the room(s) next to bathroom,is this correct?

Pretty sure if flue is fitted over a wc this equals a straight AR mate

i totally agree with this, and its something a lot of guys have said as soon as we tell them about TB008 when they are in for re-assessment (it is shocking that they dont know about it by now, but that just shows their firm or their own (if SE ) procedure for keeping up to speed is way short of what it should be) but they are sharp enough to know that as soon as they start filling out the Warning Notice and sticking on the AR aticker then they wont get called back again next year, so something that is intended to increase safety could end up decreasing work to the guys who are doing a good job

Back to co alarms,most are not suitable in bathrooms due to moisture,so all flues in boxing through bathroom,which there are many,have to have inspection hatched now or AR ?

One of my customers has got a boxed flue without any hatches in a bathroom . I've install the bathroom for him. The flue has been boxed way before me. I haven't touched his boiler yet. I don't think he's gonna like AR. Oh dear!

It matters not a jot who inspects it, it'll still be AR. If an engineer is willing not to AR then they deserve to receive every punishment available

i totally agree with this, and its something a lot of guys have said as soon as we tell them about TB008 when they are in for re-assessment (it is shocking that they dont know about it by now, but that just shows their firm or their own (if SE ) procedure for keeping up to speed is way short of what it should be) but they are sharp enough to know that as soon as they start filling out the Warning Notice and sticking on the AR aticker then they wont get called back again next year, so something that is intended to increase safety could end up decreasing work to the guys who are doing a good job

What happens the following year when the boiler is due a service?? They wont risk ringing any company out as they are scared it will need turning off and isolating this year. Does this make the boiler and flue safer?? So not only has it been found to be at risk or ID it will now more than likeley not be inspected for many years to come.

there is something of a precedent with backboilers and ventilation the public understood, this year is meant to be letting the public no whats coming, i havent had anyone slap me on the back and thank me for the inconvienence but thats life

All we know is that it was safe at time of inspection, but now we have potentially serious holes in the flue boxing, maybe in kids rooms etc for the flue products to leak out from if the flue gets damaged in between services.
I can see the good point in being able to inspect whole of flue and joints, but I can also see the potential hazards.
If the flue is properly supported along it's length; is fully inspected and safe during service; how likely is it to be damaged between services? As a procaution I always advise on CO alarms; even more so when the appliance is in a bedroom.
I would also say the boxing in would be unlikely to have contained the POC's from a split flue anyway. How likely is it that the boxing is 100% air tight?

Back to co alarms,most are not suitable in bathrooms due to moisture,so all flues in boxing through bathroom,which there are many,have to be inspection hatched now or AR ?

The CO alarm must be in every room along the route of the flue. In an adjacent room does not comply with the risk assessment. Even if the flue was to pass through a void in a neighbors property, they too must be given a CO alarm.

What happens the following year when the boiler is due a service?? They wont risk ringing any company out as they are scared it will need turning off and isolating this year. Does this make the boiler and flue safer?? So not only has it been found to be at risk or ID it will now more than likeley not be inspected for many years to come.

regardless, that's not your job to worry about what they will do next year if you AR or ID the appliance this year. If you NCS it because you fear you will lose work (as it is coming across like this in your statement) then you will be ripped up for erse paper in court of law should anything happen.
better a cold house than a cold body, this is the message as gas engineers we should be getting across.

regardless, that's not your job to worry about what they will do next year if you AR or ID the appliance this year. If you NCS it because you fear you will lose work (as it is coming across like this in your statement) then you will be ripped up for erse paper in court of law should anything happen.
better a cold house than a cold body, this is the message as gas engineers we should be getting across.

I am not saying it for my behalf, I am just saying that home owners will stop getting appliances serviced.
As I dont do servicing I dont give a monkeys about them not calling me back the following year, I stick to installs so the chances are I will only come across these situations if I am replacing the boiler anyway so it wont matter to me as I will be getting the extra work of moving the boiler or fitted inspection holes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does anyone use a Borescope to inspect flues in voids? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock