Search the forum,

Discuss Does anyone use a Borescope to inspect flues in voids? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rjshook

I'm sure most readers of this forum are aware of the new rules concerning the inspection of flues in voids and the recommendation to fit inspection hatches.

In the flat that I own, the flue runs across the living room ceiling so I am less than thrilled at the prospect of having to install inspection hatches.

I am wondering if there are any gas safe engineers that have equipped themselves with borescopes? (endoscopes or access inspection cameras) It would seem to be to be relatively small investment (£200-500) but could be a real way to get an edge on the competition. I'm sure there are a lot of flat owners that would happily pay a £15 premium and not have to worry about inspection hatches.

Does anyone think they could make an adequate flue inspection if they had a borescope? (If not, then why not?) Has anyone started using a borescope to carry out inspections?

Thanks,
Ryan

I'd be wanting more than £15 lol. Do u think gas engineers are made of cash

I'm positive the hatches are due to be regulation as of 01/01/13 so I'd say the boiler would be 'at risk' given that the flue is not easily inspected.

OK call it £20-25? How many inspections do you do a week? A payback period of 20 inspections in modern flats and then you are making a profit on investing in an extra bit of kit. There are 46 flats in my block and we are all being told we need to install one or more inspection hatches at £100 a pop. There is a big opportunity to charge a premium inspection price to us if you find an alternate solution to inspection hatches.

As for "at risk" - can you point to where in the regulations "ease of inspection" is a requirement? I thought the requirement was for the flue to be visually inspected.

As said hatches are /will be required and use of cameras is not acceptale I have been told,why I do not know
A lot of us have inspection cameras and they are not that expensive now
Plug them into note book and can even record inspection

Hi puddle,
Are you able to point to anything official saying that the use of cameras are not acceptable?
I really want to distinguish legal requirements from word of mouth.
Thanks,
Ryan

mmm....I have one of these cameras and although fine for checking dripping pipes round a corner I'm not sure how well they'd work drilling holes in ceilings and having a look around a flue unless it's obviously come totally apart.

They don't give you a 'crystal' clear veiw really, its not like pointing a TV camera at things, half the time the camera is upside down anyway.

I still wouldn't be without mine though (until its stolen anyway) Ha Ha....

Borescope...........absoulutely no chance that this will be acceptable.

The requirements are to have inspection hatches of a certain size at various intervals.

I think your just clutching at straws, looking for alternatives. I don't think there is any alternative.

I'm open to correction but if a preexisting flue in a void does not have inspection panels then the installation would be classed as NCS, not AR.
Plus, in my opinion, a remote camera view could not come close to a proper visual inspection.

Hi Phil - I've never used a sub-£1000 borescope. At my work we use the Olympus iPlex which is well into the 5 figure range and does give crystal clear video. Maybe my expectations of the sub-£1000 models is too great.

I'm open to correction but if a preexisting flue in a void does not have inspection panels then the installation would be classed as NCS, not AR.
Plus, in my opinion, a remote camera view could not come close to a proper visual inspection.

No, I think it's NCS this year, but from next year it will have to be At Risk, and turned off.

We can only isolate an appliance if it's ID and with the 'responsible persons' permission.
AR situations you cover yourself and write it up.

At risk is turn off with responsible persons permission plus necessary paperwork. If custard refuses complete paperwork detailing refusal.

And inform the gas supplier who can legally isolate the appliance/installation.

OK call it £20-25? How many inspections do you do a week? A payback period of 20 inspections in modern flats and then you are making a profit on investing in an extra bit of kit. There are 46 flats in my block and we are all being told we need to install one or more inspection hatches at £100 a pop. There is a big opportunity to charge a premium inspection price to us if you find an alternate solution to inspection hatches.

As for "at risk" - can you point to where in the regulations "ease of inspection" is a requirement? I thought the requirement was for the flue to be visually inspected.

Carbon monoxide alarms are not an alternative to being able to see the flue and you will still need to have inspection hatches fitted. You have until 31 December 2012 for this work to be completed. It is recommended that inspection hatches are fitted as soon as you are able to do so. From 1 January 2013, any Gas Safe registered*engineer will turn the boiler off, with your permission*and formally advise you not to use it until inspection*hatches have been fitted in appropriate places.

'with responsible persons permission' is crucial.
I can't see legislation allowing us GS engineers to forcibly turn off or disconnect an appliance or installation.

'with responsible persons permission' is crucial.
I can't see legislation allowing us GS engineers to forcibly turn off or disconnect an appliance or installation.

Its always turned off with custs permission no matter If it's AR or ID. The only difference being is with an ID then we have a legal and moral responsibility to grass them up to the emergency provider

i might have to re-read the tb to check but i thought it suggested a min size so you could get you head inside the void i hadnt even considered a borescope till this thread learn something new every day

i might have to re-read the tb to check but i thought it suggested a min size so you could get you head inside the void i hadnt even considered a borescope till this thread learn something new every day

300mm x 300mm located within 1.5m of every flue joint

No, I think it's NCS this year, but from next year it will have to be At Risk, and turned off.
If a flue cannot be fully inspected it may be classed as NCS upto next year if there is a working CO alarm in every room the flue passes through. Otherwise it is AR.

Mbear is spot on above. As per the regs there must be an inspection hatch of minimum 300x300mm within 1.5m of every joint. This puts the inspection camera idea to bed!

If a flue cannot be fully inspected it may be classed as NCS upto next year if there is a working CO alarm in every room the flue passes through. Otherwise it is AR.

Mbear is spot on above. As per the regs there must be an inspection hatch of minimum 300x300mm within 1.5m of every joint. This puts the inspection camera idea to bed!

Thanku Graham, it does my nut when non gs-engineers (the OP) try qoute the rules to me

I have already AR'd a load as customer would not cough up for CO alarm. And there has been a few running through bathrooms, so CO alarms cannot be used so automatically AR until inspection hatches put in.

I have already AR'd a load as customer would not cough up for CO alarm. And there has been a few running through bathrooms, so CO alarms cannot be used so automatically AR until inspection hatches put in.

I reckon I've AR'd at least 200 since it came into force mate, there's so many new flats/apartments round here and they're all getting stung now.

From 1 January 2013, all installations without appropriate inspection access provided will be classified as AR and should not be used until adequate access for inspection is provided.

Hi puddle,
Are you able to point to anything official saying that the use of cameras are not acceptable?
I really want to distinguish legal requirements from word of mouth.
Thanks,
Ryan

the document you need to read is produced by Gas safe Register asnd is listed as TB008 edition 2 (TB Technical Bulletin) without getting involved int he politics and legality which i have no problem with you doing, but the wording of the document clearly state the dimension and location of hatches to allow inspection of the flue, if no hatches then the installation is to be deemed AR (At Risk) so no matter what fancy equipment anyone has, we will not be in a position to argue the validity of a document we are legally bound to comply with via our gas safe registration, as i said more power to your elbow if you wish to engage legal council to fight this on your behalf, but cant imagine it will be cheaper than getting a vent fitted, and without seeing your actual property i think £100 is way excessive and you would be better spending time engaging a builder or joiner and getting 46 jobs for him and adjust the price to a mutually agreeable level for all

please find yourself corrected haha

We can only isolate an appliance if it's ID and with the 'responsible persons' permission.
AR situations you cover yourself and write it up.

if you are replying to anz, he is 99% correct by saying AR and turn off (he would have got 100% if he said after gaining owner/responsible persons permission) the end result of this is that if there are no hatches i will call it AR and ask for permission to turn off, if permission is refused i will write it up as that, take my money and go back next year and do the same again

there isnt any point in considering a borescope as the TB clearly state the size and frequency of a hatch and if not there is is AR, someone nneds to go down the legal route to challenge the statement not us as we are on the inside and need to comply, if i advise a customer i would like to turn it off and label it as AR and they refuse its no skin off my nose as i have the required paperwork to keep me from jail, i can guarantee that as i have fully complied with their requirements and therefore cannot be blamed

there isnt any point in considering a borescope as the TB clearly state the size and frequency of a hatch and if not there is is AR

It is correct if you read TB 008.

But, if you have a look at TB 008 (Edition 2) - no access or inadequate access provided to allow satisfactory visual inspection of the chimney system/route can be NCS providing the risk assessment is OK. And the appliance may be left operational until 31 December 2012.
From 1 January 2013, all installs without appropriate inspection access provided will be AR.
It's all in the TB 008 (Edition 2).

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mountainmanI'm open to correction but if a preexisting flue in a void does not have inspection panels then the installation would be classed as NCS, not AR.

please find yourself corrected haha

Can it not be NCS untill 31/12/2012??

If the risk assessment is a fail - it could be AR or ID.

The problem I find with regulations is that they are written by people who have never been or are no longer 'on the tools'
We, the great unwashed, spend a lot of time, money and effort in order to go to work yet there seems to be no definitive answer to a simple question.
This thread is proof in point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does anyone use a Borescope to inspect flues in voids? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock