Discuss DIYer worried about his DIY plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diytom

Hi all, sorry to trouble you. Im a diyer, not a plumber. Just dabble a bit with a spanner.

My mother needed a ink removed (basin I think its called here) from one of her bedrooms, its an old property.

Anyway, I removed the basin, took up some flooring and cut the pipe as close to the "t" as I could. I used a compression stop end and thought I would be clever to use plumbers mate to help it seal. I put the plumbers mate around the thread. I have now read that I should have put the putty around the olive or end of the pipe?

I tightened the caps with wrench and pump pliers. Turned the water back on and as far as I could tell there wasn't any leaks so put the flooring back down.

Im worried though that the joint will leak as I put the plumbers mate in the wrong place? If it was to fail would it just slowly weep or would it leak quite a lot? Im going back to Mums on tuesday to check , will this be to late though?

Im bricking it in case the ceiling collapses.

Regards

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you checked the joint/cap and it wasn't leaking. I would say your ok. Plumbers mate and other jointing compounds are there to help movement. Asking as the pipe doesn't move you should be ok

wouldnt be using plumbers mate on potable water imho, its for sanitary pipes. You dont even need paste on it as long as it is compressed and not overtightened it will be fine.

Wow, under a minute you guys are amazing!

Thankyou so much, I will still check on Tuesday to make sure.

Another question, when I turned the water off I drained the taps until no water was running but when I cut the pipe (below the sink with the pipe still pointing up) water still came shooting out, enough to fill a cup. I cleared this up and then continued to lift the flooring and more water slowly rose from the pipe. It done this several times until I capped it.

Some compression fitting manufacturers like Conex once said you could use their fittings without putting anything on. So basically you would probably be unfortunate if it leaks and its probably alright.

when turning water off open all taps in house, taps upstairs let air get into the pipes and drain the system. You will still have water in the pipes under the taps as water can't defy gravity. Usually have a basin at hand when cutting pipes to catch the water

Makes sense. So is the plumbers "mait" :) ok to use on potable water?

and I just use these from Screwfix http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/stop-end-15mm-pack-of-2/65021

they ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
its not designed for that purpose its a non setting putty for sanitary pipework. Jointing compound is used for water carrying pipes such as jet blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DIYer worried about his DIY plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort. I had a cistern lever that...
Replies
Views
Hi, Im a homeowner and have had a new shower installed. This meant the installation of a new radiator also. However, the plumber has placed the...
Replies
Views
B
Hello I’m not going to explain this very well but I will try my best. I’m planning on installing a kitchen sick by myself with no plumbing...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock