Search the forum,

Discuss My first experience with CheckATrade in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort.

I had a cistern lever that didn't flush properly, and had become corroded and unsightly. I figured I'd get a plumber in to do it (after a couple of years apologising to guests for having to pump the lever about 10 times!). Found a local plumber on CheckATrade. They were keen to do it and could come the next moring. I booked it in.

The plumber arrived and had a play with the lever for about half an hour. Said they needed to go out and get some parts and would be back in an hour. Didn't come back. Came back following day with an assistant (!). After half an hour they said one of the new parts was faulty, and the other new part they got was the wrong size for my cistern. Said they'd get the correct parts and come back that afternoon.

Heard nothing for 4 days. Texted them asking for update. They apologised for an urgent family issue and came the following morning. Turned up in morning and said they were unable to source correct cistern lever for my cistern as it was "too old, and non-standard". I thanked them for trying and they left. The next day the cistern lever stopped working. I took the lid off, and they had left the lever not connected properly, and had put the shaft though the wrong sized hole in the internal plastic lever (the one connected to the metal hook). The phrase "round peg square hole" comes to mind.

So I decided to do the damn thing myself.

I called a local plumbing supply store. Found that I needed a cistern lever with a smaller than standard bush. So I needed a 3/8" bush rather than the more common 1/2" bush. First store had no stock. Second store also had no stock. Third store had 3/8" cistern levers on the shelf. Store was 3 miles away. Drove there and picked it up for £8. Installed it in 10 minutes. Works perfectly.

Bit late to the show but I would have beeen wary by the very fact they could come around the next day. I had similar with a tiler from Checkatrade. Promises promises. One reason for not attending one appointment was he had forgotten it was his birthday.
Who writes these scripts?

Reply to My first experience with CheckATrade in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock