Search the forum,

Discuss Location of new radiator in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, Im a homeowner and have had a new shower installed. This meant the installation of a new radiator also. However, the plumber has placed the radiator far too close to the shower. It is right next to the exit/entrace of the shower which seems unsafe as it could burn undressed people and just looks wrong. The plumber has said the solution is to put an elbow on them and to run the pipes to the left to create space between shower and radiator, but the pipes would be exposed. This surely cannot be right? Plumbing is not my area of expertise but surely shouldnt the pipe work be done when the wall boards were removed during the installation process? When I said this to him his answer is that the stud wall in now below standard stud dimensions, but surely there are ways around this? My home was built around 1996 and although regulations have changed there should be a way around this?
I would appreciate your input.
Thank you
IMG-20230902-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't like it's postion you don't like it but was it discussed before he proceeded or were there any plans?

Is it a towel rail and if so it's not unusual to position close to shower for obvious reasons, a picture as suggested would be handy.

If you don't like it's postion you don't like it but was it discussed before he proceeded or were there any plans?

Is it a towel rail and if so it's not unusual to position close to shower for obvious reasons, a picture as suggested would be handy.
Hi gmatine, yes its a towel rail. I have uploaded an image now. No there are no plans and the plumber asked my son who said it was ok.

Yea thats a bit stupid. So close to the opening.

It looks like the door opens up to the left of the towel rail? How much space between the door and it?

If that was me I would have the tile taken off the pipes moved and re-installed. There shouldn't be a reason why they can't. Even if they were to move the towel rail while keeping the pipes where they are you would have to do something about the fixings where the towel rail was.

It can't be repostioned easily without showing exposed pipework which you don't like the idea of.

Anything more than that is really another job, retiling etc unless there is access from behind.
It's a very tight room so limited options as it looks like the door opens into the room and there must be a basin somehwere? The plumber did seek confirmation from son (age?) perhaps ill advisedly. I'd live with it or go with the easy fix anything more and you'll probably have to pay.

Yea thats a bit stupid. So close to the opening.

It looks like the door opens up to the left of the towel rail? How much space between the door and it?

If that was me I would have the tile taken off the pipes moved and re-installed. There shouldn't be a reason why they can't. Even if they were to move the towel rail while keeping the pipes where they are you would have to do something about the fixings where the towel rail was.
I have spoken to the plumber again and he said there is a stud wall where I want it and because the dimenstions are no longer standard for house builds, he had no choice but to put it where it is. There is approx 500mm between the door when open and the rad. Because we could not agree, and to be honest, as a lay person, I don't know what my options are so I have told him to remove it. The lesson I have learned is that I need to ensure that the tradesperson and I are on the same page before any work commences :)
Thank you for advice, much appreciated :)

Reply to Location of new radiator in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock