Discuss DFE fire lightheaded cause?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

aligorgon

Hi guys am new to the forum, I am a Pipefitter turned Service engineer, with UPA1A and UPA1B gas quals.

I have also got my gas fires, cookers etc but don't work on these much as I mainly work on boilers and water heaters in commercial premises.

I have at my home a DFE fire which I hardly use due to the cost of running it. However, when I do put it on I can't help feeling a little light headed.

I have a CO detector in the room which picks up nothing, and have performed a FGA and CO room safety check. OK i get a bit of CO when I stick the FG probe almost in the flame but nothing if I move it say 5 inches above the flame and all around the surrounding area.

The oxygen level in the room never drops below 20.8 %.

Spillage testing and flue flow are fine and i don't get any spillage or back flow, and a i get no drop whatsoever doing a tightness test.

I am doing all these tests with all windows and doors shut.

Am at a bit of a loss and wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. My missus reckons its in my head as I fitted the fire and i'm paranoid, but we are looking to rent the house out soon and even though i have completed the landlord cert. I don't want to rent the property without finding a solution or disconnecting the fire.

Do you have purpose provided ventilation in the room? 100 cm2 comes to mind for these off hand.

I would reccomened if your going to rent it out, having the fire disconnected.

It's far safer. And less work on the LLGSC

yes, the only descrepancy i could find was the inlet pressure... the fire asks for 20mbar +- 1 whereas I have 24mbar at the inlet, but surely i would be getting more CO on my FGA if this was that critical...?

You need to check the heat input aswell as burner pressure, one up one down indicates injector problem, both up or down is back from injector, if your flues pulling fine though you shouldn't be getting lightheaded

you need a air vent of 100 cm2 for d f e fires none for living flame up to 7 kw because in theory this is catered for with adventageous air from air gaps in the fabric of the building but cant help feeling in these days of double glazing and draught excluders this reg couldnt do with a review all your checks are correct and readings are fine but if you have it in your head that a problem exists then cap it off after prolonged lack of use you do get a strange smell from these things sometimes for a spell due to the dust that settles on them awfully wastefull anyway less than 50% efficiency just nice to look at on a winters evening

I'm with Simon if you're going to rent the property, definitely much safer that way.

thanks for all the replies..

no mike i haven't checked the gas rate to be honest the data badge is that faded I couldn't read what it is supposed to be, i'll have a search online for it. Its a archtray mc ng2 burner.

If it is not used for long periods at a time and checks out ok when it is it is, usually the smell is from settled dust burning off.
As said, if you rent the house out cut it off. No need to remove it. Just cap the supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DFE fire lightheaded cause?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock