Search the forum,

Discuss Damp smell in downstairs toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GazM

Hi All , I've just bought a house and the downstairs toilet stinks of a damp smell. After a lot of destruction I found the source. The sink is set in a "boxed in" vanity type thing which I want to remove and the waste pipe drains in to what looks like a open sewer. There is mould and rat/mouse poo present so obviosly want to sort this out. The waste pipe hangs into a rectangular clay hopper ( I think thats what its called ) with a 5x6 and a 6x6 square opening , there is no cover or lid. It has water in the bottom so I assume there is a trap of some sort. I dont think removing it is possible so my plan is to clean it back to new condition and either make some lids from thick plastic and fit some kind of 32mm or 40mm adapter for the waste pipe OR gently push a soil pipe adapter into the hopper and back fill it with cement and fit a cap with 32mm and 40mm holes. I am clearly not in the plumbing business but do these ideas seem ok or not. Any help is greatly appreiciated.

From what I can gather from your post, it sound like a handyman has done the installation originally.
If the vanity was boxed in, then the only way rats could enter the area is from the sewer pipe.
Something is catastrophically wrong somewhere.

To find what the exact problem is and how to remedy the problem so it doesn't happen again, I would call someone who has experience in this field - eg: a Plumber.

Hope this helps,

Oz Plumber

Thanks for your replies , I'm not at the house for a few days so can't send a photo , I realise this would help massively. In my last house there was a thing called an " elephants foot " . I think this the kind of thing I need just to cover it all over . Like you say probably best to get a plumber in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Damp smell in downstairs toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have an issue and hoping someone could shed some light on the problem. We have been getting a smell coming up in the bathroom, initially thought it was the toilet, but after smelling the bath tub plug hole it appears to be coming from here. I removed the P trap and very little...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
L
Hi all, First post here so please be patient. We recently had our ensuite remodelled and were initially really happy with the result. However, there is now sometimes a smell of raw sewage which I have tracked to the back-to-wall toilet (it could have been the shower or the sink). It's not...
Replies
Views
Hi We have been in our property for about 6 months. It was built in 2019. After about a month the downstairs toilet was blocked so we called Dyno-rod who did their stuff and about £200 later it was fixed! 5 months later and it has happened again - I can't afford to keep paying for the fix...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock