Search the forum,

Discuss Drain blockage downstairs toilet twice in 6 months in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

We have been in our property for about 6 months. It was built in 2019.

After about a month the downstairs toilet was blocked so we called Dyno-rod who did their stuff and about £200 later it was fixed!

5 months later and it has happened again - I can't afford to keep paying for the fix!

Some advice would be appreciated on:
1. What might be causing it? (Considering it is a new build i'd hoped it would be good plumbing).

2. How can i fix it myself? (I opened up the drain (pictured) and can see a wad of paper in one of the 4 conduits, so i plan to stick a broom in there and try and free it up! but wasn't sure if that was a good idea and anyway isnt a permanent fix).

I include a photo of where the drain is - just in case it helps!
Front Garden drain.png

Worth noting that the 2 upstairs toilets we are not having a problem with.

Thanks!!

a picture of the drain configuration would be helpful

Clearing it your self shouldn't be difficult if you can see the blockage. Buy a set of drain rods use the fork attachment and try and release it but make sure to remove it with rubber gloves rather than let it carry on in the drain. Then flush plenty of water down the drain while watching it at the man hole and check for a decent flow so there isn't a blockage further up also.

Don't take it for granted that the drain has been installed correctly because it’s a newly built property. Are you sure it’s paper, or does anyone flush baby wipes or wipes of any kind? If it’s the former, then clearing how you’ve said should sort it. If it’s the latter then pushing wipes further down the drain is a bad idea.

There won't be any wipes down there.

It is paper - i have opened it up and can see it is paper.

Great - will give that a go by hooking it with a broom.... i assume if i pull it into the centre then this will be taken further down the line when there's a few flushes?

The configuration looks like this (with blockage shown in bottom left).
1683912421039.png

Not unheard of the house dropping slightly so the drains are level or running wrong way

We need an actual photo really to ensure there isn't any poor workmanship.

The reason I recommended the rods with the fork is to ensure you could remove it all without letting it continue down the drain as one big lump
Thank you - could you point me to a decent set of drain rods ?

Reply to Drain blockage downstairs toilet twice in 6 months in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock