Search the forum,

Discuss Cooker Switch & Socket Distance from Gas Hob? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

psychovolvo

Hello I need a little help,

I cant for the life of me find what the Gas Regulations on the distance of the sockets / cooker switch need to be from the hob.

IET Recomendation is 300mm but thats a recomendation only. From what I can find gas reg wise again recomendation of 300mm & fire safe zones are 50mm, I can find lots of pictures but none of them have the sockets there. grr

The problem I have is I'm due to get a hob fitted and I would only have 150mm from the edge of the hob to the edge of the sockets.

Any Help please would be great. Its not impossible for me to move them........But... I have just tiled the walls and obviously big bits would need redone.

I'm in the kilmarnock area in scoland so theres a fitting job in it for someone probably.

thanks

Graeme

I think you need to check with a spark for a quote from the current electrical regs, the gas regs will only specify an electrical fitting needs to be 150mm from a gas pipe, but in this case it's more about the hot zone in relation to melting the socket

I'm sure it's 300mm minimum clearance from a combustible material. Surely if the switch is plastic that is deemed as a combustible material?

I'm sure it's 300mm minimum clearance from a combustible material. Surely if the switch is plastic that is deemed as a combustible material?

Are you getting that from electrical regs? Rather than gas

There is no set figure for a normal socket, there's a recommendation of 300 I think but it's not a reg. for a cooker isolator there is a set figure for the max it should be away from the cooker I think.

Thanks for the fast replys chaps. I'm glad its not me. lol. Electrically its fine I have the IET On-site guide infront of me. But I just couldn't find anything conclusive from a gas side ( i know the 2 sides should have a party and figure stuff like this out eh?)

I guess I just need to get a fitter out and see what they personally are happy with, But looks like I'll be ok.

2m max for cooker isolator 300mm is a genaral guide for sink and cooker but not a regulation. also the prefered guide is 1m from sink but again its a guide.

I think its in IET on site guide. 300mm as said before. Think it is a reg

I think its in IET on site guide. 300mm as said before. Think it is a reg

the electrical regs dont state a distance, they talk about safe to use taking into account external influences, engineering judgement is needed. So if its going to get damp from steam or damaged by heat the socket needs to be moved unless its designed for this environment.

i would suggest that if you asked an cps provider or some other authority they would expect you to adhere to the 300mm but would prefere you to try and be 1000mm away. The person signing off the electrical cert needs to be happy with its position mainly.

Last edited:
If it really can't be moved at this point then probably the best option for now is to get the switch taken off, isolated and have a metal one of these fitted to reduce possibility of heat damage.

LAP 2-Gang Blank Plate Polished Chrome | Polished Chrome Raised Edge | NoLinkingToThis

As long as its out with the free space area ( TOASTY ZONE) 50mm either side and on the vertical, there isnt a distance in gas unless sparks have one,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cooker Switch & Socket Distance from Gas Hob? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock