Discuss condensing boiler in the loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafeGasInstall

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
just was with customer to talk about there options of boiler change ,boiler is in the loft and that is where they want the new combi ,just thinking of the condens pipe ,is it best to run it to the soil stack or ......???

loft is use as storage only! gas 22mm ,and 25 mdpe already there !flue is vertical so i will use the same flashing .

has any one install vertical flue ??? i have not ,would i be able to use the existing flash , i mean will the flue just pull back and the new one go through the old flashing ????/

in regards to the flashing it depends on the size most vertical flues use a 5 inch flashing no probs taking the conden into soil pipe just lag it well also consider fitting a frost stat if theres not one built in to the combi

Hi, if fitting a frost stat, best fit a pipe stat on heating return [wiring in series], as with the pipes being lagged & boiler not giving much heat off, the frost stat would continue calling in very cold weather, therefore the house will get over hot. Set pipe stat to 10-20 degrees C, then when return pipes is warm will shut system down & come back on when required. Stopping waste of fuel & overheating in the house

Hi, if fitting a frost stat, best fit a pipe stat on heating return [wiring in series], as with the pipes being lagged & boiler not giving much heat off, the frost stat would continue calling in very cold weather, therefore the house will get over hot. Set pipe stat to 10-20 degrees C, then when return pipes is warm will shut system down & come back on when required. Stopping waste of fuel & overheating in the house

Here here.

and with the condensate ive had more luck drilling a hole same size as condenstae pipe in the soil pipe (so long as its the vent) put in condensate and pointing up with solvent weld, saddle bosses are a nightmare, imo.

bosses need to be prepared properly and clean for the adhesive to work ok. shouldnt be an issue, pg's suggestion will look diy and cause problems in the long term. If your in an attic use 11/4" waste to help resolve freezing issues/

bosses need to be prepared properly and clean for the adhesive to work ok. shouldnt be an issue, pg's suggestion will look diy and cause problems in the long term. If your in an attic use 11/4" waste to help resolve freezing issues/

DIY? compared to a saddle boss? done neetly it would look better that any other option, imo.

please explain what problems might arise? as i said, only do it if its the vent part, so not comming into contact with passing waste, as its in a loft my guess is it would be ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
cos gluing a pipe in without a boss and relying on 1-2mm of glue to support and hold the pipe will normally fail, hence why pipebosses were invented. Cannt understand why you find putting a saddle boss together a problem, drill, remove burr, clean site apply adhesive and tighten on boss, whats the issue or difficulty in that. Done properly wont leak looks professional

Thats only my opinion though ;)

not helped by the fact im a messy b@@t@@d with saddle boss' :(

I just dont think saddle boss' are professional looking, this is the only scenario i would ever glue a pipe into a soil pipe though, and when someones looking up at the joint from 4-5 meter down i doubt theyll think anything of it

unless its failed, fallen out and condensate has been leaking through the ceiling, omho

unless its failed, fallen out and condensate has been leaking through the ceiling, omho

????????

I think we're talking about different things.... ceiling? I thought OP meant/said externail soil pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to condensing boiler in the loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock