Search the forum,

Discuss Condense pipe for new boiler - routing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mewcenary

Hi there,

I'm getting quotes at the moment for a new boiler. Given the old one is 20+ years old, this means the fun of condense pipes.

The boiler is currently located in an upstairs bedroom cupboard. Moving it to the downstairs kitchen would involve a non-trivial amount of work so I'm keen to avoid that if possible.

I've had a few people out to quote and the general ideas so far are:

1. Route the condense pipe along the bedroom wall above the skirting board, so it exits into the guttering.

2. Route the condense pipe out through the adjacent external wall, then down into the ground (into a soakaway kit).

3. Use a pump, so it can go into the adjacent bathroom and the soil stack. This would involve increasing the height of the soil stack as in this property it terminates half-way up the bathroom wall (and is tiled over). Note a new bathroom is coming anyway so any temporary removal of tiles and exposed pipe is fine by me.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, stand to be corrected here but don`t think your allowed to run condense to the guttering and would use a soakaway over a pump every time.

I agree with above. You could put a neutraliser on if going into gutter but that means more annual maintenance etc. Soakaway would be my preferred option..

Yep they can be a right pain, hard to see without seeing it, but it looks like it my have to be the pump, or somehow go under the floor in to the bathroom waste pipes depending on your layout

I have used pumps for condensate my whole life in refrigeration pumping condensate is no big deal as long as the pump is installed and maintained correctly

Soakaway chips only need changing every 3yrs and aren't expensive and the pump use`s electricity every time it activates plus the cost of maintaining it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies!

The house is in a block within communal grounds. I'm not too sure what the soakaway termination options are here: Immediately outside the external walls are about half a metre of flower beds, then either grass or concrete paving!

If your planning a new bathroom soon then look in to the idea of joining the pipe to the stack under the floor all depending on where the bathroom is of course.

Walk down ASDA TESCO SAINSBURY or others isle. All the displays (refrigerators/freezers) have pumps
Properly maintained pumps are no problem, It is quite recent that pumps and trace heating have come into the domestic heating industry.

Walk down ASDA TESCO SAINSBURY or others isle. All the displays (refrigerators/freezers) have pumps
Properly maintained pumps are no problem

Agree with what you say however these companies have maintenance programs and how often do you see Wet floor signs & spill sausages on the floor plus the general house owner tends to forget maintenance until things go wrong. I earn my living from pumps like you do but for me it`s always "Only as a last resort".

Agree with what you say however these companies have maintenance programs and how often do you see Wet floor signs & spill sausages on the floor plus the general house owner tends to forget maintenance until things go wrong. I earn my living from pumps like you do but for me it`s always "Only as a last resort".

thats the difference between a company who rely on their kit for sales and a family who just want it to work but never get things serviced, plus who services a condensate pump on an annual check apart from making sure it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condense pipe for new boiler - routing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock