Search the forum,

Discuss Condense pipe for new boiler - routing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mewcenary

Hi there,

I'm getting quotes at the moment for a new boiler. Given the old one is 20+ years old, this means the fun of condense pipes.

The boiler is currently located in an upstairs bedroom cupboard. Moving it to the downstairs kitchen would involve a non-trivial amount of work so I'm keen to avoid that if possible.

I've had a few people out to quote and the general ideas so far are:

1. Route the condense pipe along the bedroom wall above the skirting board, so it exits into the guttering.

2. Route the condense pipe out through the adjacent external wall, then down into the ground (into a soakaway kit).

3. Use a pump, so it can go into the adjacent bathroom and the soil stack. This would involve increasing the height of the soil stack as in this property it terminates half-way up the bathroom wall (and is tiled over). Note a new bathroom is coming anyway so any temporary removal of tiles and exposed pipe is fine by me.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to the forum, stand to be corrected here but don`t think your allowed to run condense to the guttering and would use a soakaway over a pump every time.

I agree with above. You could put a neutraliser on if going into gutter but that means more annual maintenance etc. Soakaway would be my preferred option..

Yep they can be a right pain, hard to see without seeing it, but it looks like it my have to be the pump, or somehow go under the floor in to the bathroom waste pipes depending on your layout

I have used pumps for condensate my whole life in refrigeration pumping condensate is no big deal as long as the pump is installed and maintained correctly

Soakaway chips only need changing every 3yrs and aren't expensive and the pump use`s electricity every time it activates plus the cost of maintaining it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies!

The house is in a block within communal grounds. I'm not too sure what the soakaway termination options are here: Immediately outside the external walls are about half a metre of flower beds, then either grass or concrete paving!

If your planning a new bathroom soon then look in to the idea of joining the pipe to the stack under the floor all depending on where the bathroom is of course.

Walk down ASDA TESCO SAINSBURY or others isle. All the displays (refrigerators/freezers) have pumps
Properly maintained pumps are no problem, It is quite recent that pumps and trace heating have come into the domestic heating industry.

Walk down ASDA TESCO SAINSBURY or others isle. All the displays (refrigerators/freezers) have pumps
Properly maintained pumps are no problem

Agree with what you say however these companies have maintenance programs and how often do you see Wet floor signs & spill sausages on the floor plus the general house owner tends to forget maintenance until things go wrong. I earn my living from pumps like you do but for me it`s always "Only as a last resort".

Agree with what you say however these companies have maintenance programs and how often do you see Wet floor signs & spill sausages on the floor plus the general house owner tends to forget maintenance until things go wrong. I earn my living from pumps like you do but for me it`s always "Only as a last resort".

thats the difference between a company who rely on their kit for sales and a family who just want it to work but never get things serviced, plus who services a condensate pump on an annual check apart from making sure it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condense pipe for new boiler - routing advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I hope you can help. We were getting some work done and our builder attached the boiler condensate pipe to the sink waste pipe. This was all then covered with dot and dab. Shown in the picture, red arrow. So the only thing visible now is a round pipe from the wall. We are yet to fit...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will be privately owned by individual buyers, a guy on-site pointed out that the plumbing is wrong on the properties as a perspective buyer I’d like to know...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock