Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water flow problem has stumped 3 plumbers...can you help?! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Alexwales

Afternoon all - We have a problem with very little/no cold water flow on the ground and first floor of our (fairly new build, 7 years old) 3 story town house. All flow is fine on the top floor and the hot water is unaffected and runs throughout the house.

It's an unvented, balanced system.

The network of pipes and valves are on the top floor next to the hot water cylinder. In this area we've had 3 plumbers in who have between them:

1. Replaced the Pressure relief valve 2. All non-return valves and taps replaced. 3. Tried changing direction of one non-return valve. 4. Tried pumping hot water back into the cold. 5. We've also has the water board check the mains and it's all fine.

But unfortunately we still have the issue! If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, that would be HUGELY appreciated at this stage. Thanks

Is this a new problem, or has it always been like this?
If new, did it start suddenly or get progressively worse over a period of time?
Is the pipework copper or plastic?

Is the balanced cold just supplying the top floor?, may have a separate PRV supplying the bottom floor, shouldn't be that hard to determine.

We've been in the house from new, 7 years. It's never been an issue before. Just stopped one day.

Pipework (at least all visible pipework) is copper.

Is the balanced cold just supplying the top floor?, may have a separate PRV supplying the bottom floor, shouldn't be that hard to determine.

Our understanding is it's all on the same system as there are no other visible pipes or PRV other than what is in the top floor airing cupboard with the hot water cylinder.

I will try and post a photo if possible.

A new problem - we've been in the house since new, 7 years, and it happened virtually overnight.

All visible pipework is copper.

Cheers

Our understanding is the balanced cold supplies the whole house, as there is only 1 visible PRV. I'll attach photos if that helps, all taken from top floor airing cupboard.

The mains is second from left, where we've replaced the PRV. The cold is then good on the top floor and to the hot water cylinder, but is not going back downstairs.

4th pipe along from left we've replaced the tap and non return valve and still no flow.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 58
What is the 5th pipe from the left with a NRV? on it?
Where is the expansion vessel teed off?.

Balanced cold

Expansion vessel is inside the cylinder aka megaflow

Finding it a bit confusing........working backwards from the cyl cold feed, would expect ERV, NRV then balanced cold (then PRV)., so this is the same in practice??. with NRV on balanced cold opening downwards??

Should be a single check valve on the incoming MCWS feed to the cylinder to prevent possible HWS backflow only. Not sure why you have another single and a double check on the other bit pipework there, will be a flow restriction. I would also relocate the PRV closer to the inlet pipe feeding in to the cylinder only as you are restricting the whole system in its current position.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the incoming mains is split with one feeding the cylinder the other section feeding the other outlets, with a pressure reducing valve on that part of supply

From post #7 "4th pipe along from left we've replaced the tap and non return valve and still no flow." this is the problem flow , there seems to be a NRV after the lever valve and other fittings further down, maybe another double NRV? don't know what their purpose is.

From post #7 "4th pipe along from left we've replaced the tap and non return valve and still no flow." this is the problem flow , there seems to be a NRV after the lever valve and other fittings further down, maybe another double NRV? don't know what their purpose is.

Repair coupling eg slip

I would remove the non-return valves and replace with plain pipe, in a systematic fashion until problem is resolved. Then add back in the necessary ones - using new ones.
If problem persists even with no nrv , then need to look elsewhere in system. In this case I would leave all as plain pipe until problem found.
Obviously would not leave property until the nrv were back in place.

Thanks for all the replies - all helpful. I have a new pair of eyes coming in today - I will pass on the suggestions to him and report back, we'll look for another NRV or PRV, although if there is one, it's hidden under the floor boards or in the wall...😫

I did look under the kitchen cabinet today and the pipes are plastic when heading under the floor boards, if that makes any difference.

I did look under the kitchen cabinet today and the pipes are plastic when heading under the floor boards, if that makes any difference.
Plastic pipe can kink or collapse if, for example, its path includes a bend sharper than the manufacturer's minimum spec. Normally manifests much sooner than seven years after installation but if 'three plumbers' have not been successful at finding the problem that makes something out of the ordinary much more likely.

You are reaching the point where you need to adopt a properly systematic approch, i.e. a boroscope and some patience to construct a diagram of the pipework and then start a 'divide and conquer' process to pin down the location of the problem.

When you said the water board came and tested and all's well. What pressure did they say you had?
How high is the airing cupboard from ground?
I presume they tested and told you the pressure at ground level?

When you said the water board came and tested and all's well. What pressure did they say you had?
The ground floor has the poorest pressure and as all the balanced colds are from one PRV at airing cupboard level then the ground floor flow should be slightly > the others due to its negative elevation, this is the mystery?.

My wife was home when the waterboard came so I didn't get all that info i'm afraid - however - as the water pressure to the cylinder and top floor shower/taps have remained unchanged, the plumbers who've been in already feel that the water pressure is good, certainly not poor enough to be good flow upstairs and a tiny trickle downstairs! Cheers

The ground floor has the poorest pressure and as all the balanced colds are from one PRV at airing cupboard level then the ground floor flow should be slightly > the others due to its negative elevation, this is the mystery?.
From reading all your replies and the fact that the previous plumbers were all stumped by it - it seems that it's increasingly pointing towards some kind of blockage further down the system - either a massive airlock, foreign debris or a failed valve/pipework which has been hidden behind a wall or under a floor after installation. It's the latter i'm most worried about as that will no doubt involve expensive exploration....

Are the cold draw offs on ground direct from mains or from that balanced supply on the top floor?

If they are direct, then my thoughts on the cause are wrong.

My wife was home when the waterboard came so I didn't get all that info i'm afraid - however - as the water pressure to the cylinder and top floor shower/taps have remained unchanged, the plumbers who've been in already feel that the water pressure is good, certainly not poor enough to be good flow upstairs and a tiny trickle downstairs! Cheers
Depends whether the downstairs cold is fed directly as you would expect or from the top floor balanced pressure point. That would change things. Especially if the pressure is only just enough to overcome the height and the resistances involved.
Does the cold to downstairs come from the top floor (does it rise to that valve first)?
Is there a NRV on the cold to the top floor?

I am only thinking out loud here as I obviously haven't seen the job but they way it is described brought this to mind as a possibility that's all.

Add a lever valve to each cold supply pipe and the hot pipe
Someone else mentioned the cold that tees off after the PRV could draw warm/hot water, move this tee.
Remove the Non return valves if they are not needed.

Just repeating this as it is a valid concern. Out of all the unvented systems I’ve seen, with the info I have, this has got to be at the top as far as legionella risk is concerned.

The cylinder cold inlet needs a non return after all the tees etc, close to the cylinder.

To prevent legionella, stored hot water should be at 60c.

Legionella multiples between 20c-45c.

If the cylinder is set at 60c, the bottom of the cylinder (near cold feed) will not be at 60c. Depending on size/usage etc, it could be closer to 45c.

The non return stops this lower temp water being drawn back in to the DCW system. At present, it could be drawn out of the kitchen tap and drunk.

If you’ve got a hot water recirc line, this also helps reduce the risk as the water in the tank is circulated ensure an even/full temp across the cylinder.

If you don’t have a recirc line, you can add an anti-stagnation pump between tees from hot outlet and cold inlet.

If the multibloc valve was installed like the attachment, (but with the EV connection unused due to the cylinder air bubble) is this acceptable? or is only one balanced cold allowed off it?.

1651739140977.png

So a small update - the latest plumber came in and isolated all the pipes to try and find the routing and what is blocked. Unfortunately he couldn't find a solution last night, so our next step is to look under the floor boards etc so find what he thinks must be a faulty check valve somewhere.

I've started prepping for this and I removed the cover under the airing cupboard and noticed the pipe that we're focusing our attention on as the likely issue (2nd pipe from right off the T junction with check valve that is now an isolating tap) was labelled: "C-SH-S".

So I tried the cold only on the showers in the house (1st and 2nd floor) and found that if I isolate the 3rd pipe from the right and keep the 2nd open, the shower stays on and visa-versa. Almost as if they're in a circlular set up? Does that make any sense at all? Or they're both plumbed into each shower which seems odd.

Anyway - in the process of all of this, I managed to somehow get the cold to work again in the house, at about 50%, but seemingly constant. I then went back to repeat the process to see if I could improve the flow further, but has now stopped again.

So i'm now left thinking, could there be some sort of flow issue caused by the set up 'sequence' that can have a negative affect on the flow? (Balanced cold water system)

I'll put this all to my plumber when I speak to him, but thought i'd throw it out here in case it makes any sense at all?!

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 27
Yes as if it is both connected they could be both backseating there own check valves if you close the blue lever valve do you get water ?

Yes as if it is both connected they could be both backseating there own check valves if you close the blue lever valve do you get water ?
See attached photo - with the blue mains supply switched off on far left and the far right red lever open, the shower continues to run on the cold.

If I close the red lever, open the far left blue switch and open the blue lever 3rd from right, cold water flows again to same shower.

EDIT - Although is it possible the flow is just coming back from the hot water cylinder?

Attachments

• IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 24
Just repeating this as it is a valid concern. Out of all the unvented systems I’ve seen, with the info I have, this has got to be at the top as far as legionella risk is concerned.

The cylinder cold inlet needs a non return after all the tees etc, close to the cylinder.
The current set-up is pictured above - should there be a check valve on the pipe from the cylinder?

Reply to Cold water flow problem has stumped 3 plumbers...can you help?! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock