Discuss Cheap Knipex in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tamz

There is a lot of discussion about this make of grips or that and generally good grips are quite expensive.
I found these tonight. What seems like a set of alligators without the dipped handles which if they are they are the cheapest i have ever seen.I bought 2 pairs.
When i get them in i'll do a no bs review and tell you what they are like but at £4 a go they are not expensive and look worth a punt.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Draper is the official Knipex distributor and many vendors wrongly label Draper products as Knipex, if it does not say Knipex on the tool it is not a knipex tool, in this case i think the quality is reflected in the price.

Looking forward to hearing your review - at that price they're not far short of disposable (or at least it wouldn't break your heart if they got lifted)

It doesn't seem to say Draper or Knipex on it. I don't think they are, especially at that price.

Alligator VDE's are @£18 - 20 and Cobra VDE @ £30

Any cheaper please let me know the location!
Cheers

think i seen some at makro today, they are the 'draper diy' ones and the jaws dont open too far!.

The grips came in today so as promised here is a wee review and a comparison to other grips. (The only old style alligators i have are insulated ones, only the handles are different)

The grips are officially Draper Expert's (61755 4003). They look very similar to alligators without the dipped handles. Differences apart from that are they are handed the way they are made compared to knipex and don't have the knipex stamp. They open the very same distances at all settings and grip nuts at exactly the same points. The casting finish is slightly rougher than on knipex but comparable with rothenberg.
Photo's
Handed 1-1.jpg Handed 2.jpg Same size jaws.jpg

Trying them on a piece of 1" steel compared to others, steel pipe in the vice and swinging on them with 16 stone of weight, and the drapers bite and grip as good as either of the knipex. The only ones that slipped were the rothenberg
4 grips-1.jpg Grip marks.jpg

I think for everyday use if you were constantly using them, the lack of plastic grip may bother you but apart from that the build quality is very good. They are nothing like any of the other draper pump pliers offerings. Time will tell on the quality and hardness of the steel used with the wear rate of the teeth. I'll let you know how they wear in a month or so.

Scores
New style alligators 9/10
Old styles alligators 8½/10
Drapers 7½/10
Rothenberg 5/10

The new style alligators score higher because they open further. The drapers loose a point from the old style alligators for no plastic handles and the rothenbergs are quite junk anyway.

So there you have it. For 4 quid they are not a bad set of grips in fact for 4 quid they are excellent. There is a few places selling them about the internet. Buy a set and make your own mind up.

Good review, i agree with your ratings as i own all the above grips although lately ive fallen in love with the old style footprints but still carry the knipex new style grips for something narrower and they open up to a pump nut size.

Thanks for the review tamz - just ordered a couple of pairs - at that price it's got to be worth giving them a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cheap Knipex in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi New member here with a general question: My wife and I bought an old house needing a total overhaul. We're undertaking the renovation project...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We are experiencing some problems with both our Showers in our home. We have two Showers - in the upstairs bathroom & in a wet room...
Replies
Views
B
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplaceheads up on these,this is dirt cheap just bout 60 quids worth,and these are very good quality valves
Replies
Views
T
looking for some advice about what SDS drill to buy. Am looking at the following - eBay - The UK's Online MarketplaceDose anyone have it or used...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock