Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Central heating pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lenny

Hello,

Can anybody please tell me how to check if a central heating pump is working?

thanks

Actually the compass will only tell you if there is a magnetic field produced, the impeller could have broken

true but if the impeller has come off there would be little or no heat on the positive side of the pump

You are correct but the compass check should be used as an aid with other pointers to diagnose if the pump is faulty or not.

I'm with unguided. All we are looking for is an indication. Not a full strip down to see if all the components are fine.

Not heard the compass trick before - you learn something everyday!

I undo the large screw, (using towel) then turn inner screw (3mm screwdriver). If it turns easily then turn on heating and check it vibrates. If it does make sure pipes are same temperature each side of pump.

Not necessarily a better method, but it's the way I do this - until I'm told otherwise by my esteemed colleagues!

The pump of course could be jammed so if you do as dontknowitall says and remove the centre screw and check if the shaft is turning, sometimes they jam with or stick and by turning the shaft with a screwdiver it will kick start it. This sometimes happens with new boilers.

Grundfoss did a promotion where they gave out a keyring with a small compass in it encassed in plastic lost mine a couple of years ago, I wonder if they still do them

I use my screwdriver by placing on the pump and put to my ear you can hear if it sounds smooth or jammed just like a stethascope

Unguided. If you go to the grundfos website theres a training module where they test you about their pumps. In return you get points..and what do points make?!. Well 2000 gets you one of those keyrings. Few minutes max.

Cheers Glengormless I usually work on the principle that if it cant be fixed with a lump hammer then it must be an electrical fault, I wonder how many points I would get fer clouting every test pump with a lump hammer

I usually use an old screwdriver and a hammer to kick start the thing in to life. I usually do the spindle turn thing. You can usually tell if they are seized or not as soon as you undo the flathead vent screw, if no water comes out then it could be seized. My trainer at college had one of those keyrings, wouldn't mind one myself.

hi u cld give the pump boby a sight tap with a hammer this will free it if its jammed

I just waited 4 weeks to get my keyring! But its all mine and it works a treat, got a t-shirt too with Alpha Male on it but that's consigned to the rag bin.

The Grundfos Rotation/ AC Indicator, see the post at the top of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock