Discuss Central heating problems, HELP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

derby2512

Hi, I had a plumber out on Thursday as 3 of my thermostatic valves on my radiators were not working. The plumber said I needed 3 new valves so he drained my system etc and completed the work. When he refilled the system we both went round my home to check all the radiators were working. I noticed that the one in my porch was not heating up and he said 'oh I've just turned that one on give it time', to be honest I was downstairs and thought hmmm he has not been down for a while, but thought maybe it could take a little longer with him draining the system.

I have 2 radiators in my living room dinning room and I noticed that the front one was not very warm at all either. He then went round all the radiators to bleed them but this still didn't help, so he turned all the radiators off and turned the two that were not heating on, they did heat up a little but still not great, by the way these were working fine thermostats and all before he came. So he then turned up the thermostat on my wall right up to see if that would help which it did slightly, I always have my heating set on 20 but he said it would probably have to be turned right up for a while. He then said I may need a new radiator in my porch as this was old and could have sludge in the bottom (strange because it was working fine before he came). He eventually got the radiators heated and said if I had any problems to ring him. Later I noticed my temperature was set on 29 and the porch radiator was luke warm and my front living room the same.

I contacted the plumber who came out the next day, he took the radiator off in the porch and drained it then put it back on, the radiator would not heat up and he said I needed a new radiator as it was broken and the thermostat had also broken, he then tried the front living room one again and said that thermostat was also broken, could this be coincidence as both radiators and valves were working fine before he came round. He left both the valves off, now I have no heat at all from my porch radiator which he said is broken, and my living room one is warm but not hot.

When the original 3 valves were not working I had to remove them and those radiators were really hot all the time hence no thermostatic valves so they kept heating up. The one in the bedroom had to be switched off all together as it was like a green house in there. So why is my living room radiator not piping hot as it has no thermostat on. I am going to ring him back to get him to come back out, so any help or ideas would be most helpful, I'm a female living on my own so not sure if he being 100% with me on this. I paid him £200, I know it's not a fortune but when he came I had 3 faulty thermostats all radiators were working, now I am down £200 and have another 2 faulty thermostats 1 broken radiator and 1 radiator not heating correctly even without thermostat.

Sorry its a little long winded, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

possibly while draining down he has moved some gunk around which has caused a blockage. what size pipes are on your system do you know?

Hi, sorry not got a clue what size the pipes are, how could I find out?

You need to log back in so we know who's who.

Must be an old system? Is it open vented? Or sealed system? What sort of boiler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating problems, HELP in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Could someone help with a issue I have been having with my vertical radiator. I have one vertical radiator in my bungalow and it does not...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Looking for some advice please. Got a building, all one level with 7 radiators. 3 individual ones in separate rooms then 4 radiators...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock