Discuss Caustic Soda and Cleaning Cesspool in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My very old home has a stacked stone cesspool. The cesspool used to leach fairly well for years, but grease and sludge have built up over time, and the leaching started to fail. We pumped the cesspool and re-filled with water. My plumber added caustic soda to clean a significant amount of grease and sludge build-up. It's been 48 hours, and the water level in my cesspool hasn't gone down yet ... it is still pretty high ... and we haven't added much water to the system. My question is how long will caustic soda chemically react to dissolve grease and sludge? When will the grey water become inert, such that it would be safe to pump it if it gets too high? It is winter, so outside temps fluctuate between just below or above freezing.

Reply to Caustic Soda and Cleaning Cesspool in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Y-plan system with a Honeywell 4073 three port valve. The valve is several years old. There is a bypass gate valve across the HW cylinder...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello My upstairs shower drain is smelling absolutely rotten, water is draining a little slower than normal. I’m 99% sure it’s my gf’s hair (had...
Replies
Views
Hi. We’ve had rather a lot of noise issues with our radiators since we had a new boiler installed. Our radiators other than 2 more recent ones...
Replies
Views
Hi all This is only about my third/fourth post, so go easy. Also, I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, not a pro... I'm having issues with the...
Replies
Views
I am a homeowner after some advice about power flushing a central heating system with microbore pipes that seem to be blocked. When I switched...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock