Search the forum,

Discuss Three Port Valve bang when heating switches off. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Y-plan system with a Honeywell 4073 three port valve. The valve is several years old.
There is a bypass gate valve across the HW cylinder coil. It is cracked slightly open as it always has been.
The pump has always been on minimum speed and has not been changed.

Since starting to use the heating this year, I often get a loud bang from the 3 port valve when the boiler & pump stop once the room stat reaches temperature. This happens when the valve is in position A i.e. HW is satisfied.
The bang does not happen every time.

My understanding is that the valve should remain in the same position in this situation with port A remaining fully open and the motor stalled.
(Grey wire = ‘ON’, White wire = ‘OFF’).
After the bang, the lever remains free to move over its full range of travel which indicates it is still in the port A open position.

I have also noticed that the pump overrun switches on for a short time after quite a long delay after the boiler has switched off (I would guess after a couple of minutes).

The system was cleaned using Sentinel X400 a few weeks ago. It was left in for a couple of weeks then drained and refilled with water. After running the pump for a while to help flush the system, it was drained again. 1.5L Fernox MB1 inhibitor was added plus 500ml of Sentinel X200 boiler noise reducer.

All the rads and the cylinder coil have been bled several times.

Any idea why I am getting this noise from the valve?

I should add that if I switch off the boiler + pump manually via the programmer (shortly before the room stat would have switched it off), then I don't get the bang. It only happens when the boiler + pump is switched off via the room stat.

Reply to Three Port Valve bang when heating switches off. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a fully pumped heating system fitted with a Drayton MA1 diverter, after the summer run the heating stopped coming on, so I replaced the Actuator head, however I have found the actuator is stuck on H (Heating), I have turned down both heating and cylinder stat - still stuck on H. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock