Discuss Career change advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gerard M

Not the usual career change thread. I've been doing installs now for 6 years and I just seem to be enjoying it less and less. Pretty much at the stage now where the only time I dont mind my job is when it's a straight forward combi swap. I'm 27 and dont have anything else to fall back on and have been considering going back to college to do mechanical engineering or something similar. Only downside with this is it seems my only option is full time college for a year as I cant see any part time or even courses available. I think I'd be stupid to quit my job to go back to college but I dont see any alternative ways to get a start. Has anyone else left the trade for something similar? Is there any other career paths where my skillset would be interchangable and sought after? Any advice is much appreciated.

Perhaps try getting in touch with a large industrial/manufacturing company. Down here we have Boots the chemist in Nottingham and Rolls Royce in derby both offer training within the organisation. I know Royces allow easy sideways movement with retraining. So for example yo could join as a plumber, then move into another role from there.

There might be something along those lines near you?

Moving to an employer in one role, then re-training with them for another, as suggested above, is almost certainly the best and least risky route.

Otherwise, you might consider the Open University, but with them, or any other college, you are going to be trying to get a job, newly qualified, in a new field seven or eight years behind the normal age.

Whatever you decide, the best of luck with the future.

Hiya

Have you considered flipping over into servicing or breakdown side of things ? Would get you out and about more, different people, premises, problems ...A variety! A change is as good as a rest as the saying goes, maybe a break from installs could do the trick?

I started out Mechanical engineering, in house trained but they didn't sign me up to NVQ so I jumped over to plumbing and gas instead. Even though I liked the mechanical work there, I got fed up of clocking in and out/ shift work and the same work location everyday..... Not for me.

You could always do a HNC Building technology and management course in the evening over 2 years, convert to a HND with another year, then another year if you want a Degree (4rs total).... That opens many doors too, if you were to get HNC (2yrs) employers will take you on and support you through the rest ... Just ideas ;)

Hope you figure it out, best of luck

Thanks for the advice so far. I've considered the breakdown side of things but I've never done or been trained in anything relating to it but it's deffinately an option. My problem with college routes is that there just doesnt seem to be any evening or weekend courses in my area offering any the courses I would like to do. I'm fortunate enough just now that I don't have any big financial commitments like a mortgage so ideally the time is now for a change but also have doubts about chucking a good job for something that might not work out.

Know how your feeling mate feeling exactly the same soooo fed up with installing and breakdowns feel the same. Defo more to life than this but i will say since i have come away from contract work where the money has become pants my work is changing .

Seem to be getting offered all sorts from plumbing gas to tiling to small diy jobs . I can honestly say tho that i have never seen so much poor work in the domestic sector in all sorts of build works . Reckon you could make good money if you are better than a lot round here .

Just be more open minded when you are taking on work. Get involved with bathrooms, drainage, general plumbing.
I will do anything that is thrown at me. That way every day is different and you don't get bored.
Why not train as a tiler or plasterer to open up more opportunities? Then you can take on bigger jobs?

Marine engineer? They pay you a wage and you come out of the training with an engineering HNC or degree, for free. Guaranteed job at the end of it too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career change advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction...
Replies
Views
Back