Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Cap for carbon steel pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi have surplus water feed and return pipes in my home. I can't isolate them so will need to freeze. House built 1970's. They're as far as can tell Carbon/mild steel pipe, 28mm dia. Wish to cap them off. Can I use brass compression fittings? Like in the pic. Or do I need to use steel fixings? Like a 28mm threaded plug. Local plumber wanted to order in very heavy compression caps at £24 ea. seemed a bit much. Advice appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20231104_093551.jpg
    20231104_093551.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20231114_070704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114_070704_Chrome.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 18
They are galvanised steel.
It depends which way you intend to cap them. If it is the elbow that will be left over, use a plug.
If it measures around 1" externally then it will be 3/4" tube but it should say the size on the side of the fittings/elbows.

They are galvanised steel.
It depends which way you intend to cap them. If it is the elbow that will be left over, use a plug.
If it measures around 1" externally then it will be 3/4" tube but it should say the size on the side of the fittings/elbows.
Ah galvanised steel. Thanks @Last Plumber.
Yes attatched is what the plumbers merchants were offering. All depends on whether it can be frozen at or before the elbow. Plug would be easier though. As for galvanised compression fittings. Not sure why they are so expensive. Is it accepted practice to use brass fittings with galvanised steel. I believe brass fittings are of a brass mix to reduce galvanic corrosion to a minimum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231114_080051_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20231114_080051_eBay.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 15
Ah galvanized steel. Thanks @Last Plumber.
Yes attached is what the plumbers merchants were offering. All depends on whether it can be frozen at or before the elbow. Plug would be easier though. As for galvanized compression fittings. Not sure why they are so expensive. Is it accepted practice to use brass fittings with galvanised steel. I believe brass fittings are of a brass mix to reduce galvanic corrosion to a minimum.
I would not use brass and galvanized steel together.
Compression fittings are OK but I avoid them and only use as a last resort.
If you can get the pipe out of the elbow and use a plug, that's the best way.

I presume this is heating?

Ah galvanised steel. Thanks @Last Plumber.
Yes attatched is what the plumbers merchants were offering. All depends on whether it can be frozen at or before the elbow. Plug would be easier though. As for galvanised compression fittings. Not sure why they are so expensive. Is it accepted practice to use brass fittings with galvanised steel. I believe brass fittings are of a brass mix to reduce galvanic corrosion to a minimum.
YES this will work 100% on GB I did this many moons ago on 1inch GB Tested this on 1/2 GB it held Ten Bar Pressure IF its 28mm Galvo You will have to go up to the next Size Which Would be 35 mm uk copper size The copper Ring on the Galvo will compress You might have to do a Bit of Filing but it will work and you will not need a pair of Flippers and a Snorkel or the Fire brigade to bail you out

Reply to Cap for carbon steel pipe in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures I need to replace the cylinder because...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new...
Replies
Views
I need to cap off an old lead water pipe in the garden as I have an new MDPE pipe water supply. I have a Screwfix FLOMASTA COMPRESSION REDUCING...
Replies
Views
I have a lead water pipe that needs to be capped off. I have dug down and found where the pipe tees off to my property. I have a Flomasta Lead to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock