Search the forum,

Discuss Lead Pipe Capping off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a lead water pipe that needs to be capped off. I have dug down and found where the pipe tees off to my property. I have a Flomasta Lead to copper adaptor (15mm x 1") pipe is between 24 and 25mm diameter. A small piece of copper pipe and a 15mm soldered stop end.

My plumber said originally that the adaptor was too small for the pipe but I have since looked into this and apparently the lead pipe needs shaving down to fit the adaptor.

My questions are these.
1. What is the best way to shave the pipe down?
2. My plumber says I need some kind of insert for the lead pipe so that the adaptor doesn't crush the pipe, is this correct or is the lead pipe solid enough for the adaptor?

I also have a freeze kit but would like to get some expert advice and ensure I have everything before any pipes are cut.

Your help and advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I’m guessing you have a lead loc 7lb

Don’t need an insert

File or grinder if your careful how much do you need to shave off won’t the fitting go on ?

Could be 1/2" 7's or 1/2" 9's so you will need the right fitting. I have never had to shave a lead pipe for a leadloc fitting so you may have the wrong one. You don't need an insert. If you do decide to shave it, a shave hook is the right tool to shave lead. No grooves or gouges allowed.

As above, best way (in my opinion) is to cut it and wipe an end on it but you'd need an 'mature' Plumber to do it for you. The mature Plumber will have experience, tools and equipment. It isn't an expensive job.

If you use the copper, wrap it in denso.

What freeze kit? lead is thick so you may need more than a tin can if that is what you have?

No moving water, wait till you hear the cracks (if you can on lead), look for frost around the clamps or muffs, open a tap to check it's frozen before you cut. Have two big hammers ready to flatten it if it all goes wrong.

Why can't you turn the mains stopcock off?

Reply to Lead Pipe Capping off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, grateful for any advice I need to connect a dishwasher waste water outflow pipe 25mm to 50mm waste pipe. Is there a joining piece anyone can recommend? Maybe with some appropriate tape. The waste pipe is in the wall but was trimmed at some point (unnecessarily) to only 10mm extruding from...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster the room and wait for my new sink to arrive. So I need to temporary cap off the two below connections cant seem to find what is the best way to do this.
Replies
Views
Hi have surplus water feed and return pipes in my home. I can't isolate them so will need to freeze. House built 1970's. They're as far as can tell Carbon/mild steel pipe, 28mm dia. Wish to cap them off. Can I use brass compression fittings? Like in the pic. Or do I need to use steel fixings...
Replies
Views
Morning. I have a leak. It’s coming from the connector pipe….the picture shows the pipe. It is a cold water pipe going in to the back of my dishwasher. I assume the washer may need a replacement. Anyway I cannot for the life of me turn the water off I.e at this cap. I understand I should turn...
Replies
Views
I need to cap off an old lead water pipe in the garden as I have an new MDPE pipe water supply. I have a Screwfix FLOMASTA COMPRESSION REDUCING LEAD TO COPPER COUPLER 7LB 1 X 15MM (53125) A piece of 15 mm copper pipe. A FLOMASTA SOLDER RING STOP ENDS 15MM 10 PACK (68435) Obviously just one of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock