Discuss Can we use a 15X3/4 female coupler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

laptop

My mate have got a stop tap in the kitchen and he has been told it's from when their was a separate toilet. Now he wants to use the stop tap so he can plumb in a washing machine but the problem he has got he don't know what fitting he needs to fit on the stop tap. He has gone and bought a 15mmx3/4 compression tap connector but the part on the tap connector that should fit inside the tap is to big so as he don't know if other makes are the same he was wondering if he can use a female coupler or are these used for something else.

The washing machine valve fixes to 15mm pipe. So you'll need to put a piece of 15mm pipe in the stop tap then fix the washing machine valve to the pipe.

If you can't make out what this means, if you put a picture up of the stop tap and where you want the washing machine valve and someone here can take you through it.

The problem is the stop tap is a 3/4 thread so how does he connect a 15mm copper pipe to it because if you use a 3/4 nut the olive will pass throught it.

Looks grey but you cannot see much as the cupboard is in the way.

Can you post a piccy then we might be able to be more helpful?

He have taken a picture but it came out to dark and you cannot see anything. So i have got a picture of what he has bought and was wondering if he can get something with a smaller bore.
ej2b6.jpg

Those are tap connectors. You need something called a washing machine valve and they look very different to those!

Looks grey but you cannot see much as the cupboard is in the way.

this is possibly lead pipe if you tap it it should make a dull thud or if you scratch it lightly it should be shiny underneath the stop valve is possibly a lead to lead stopcock let us know and we can advise from there:)regards turnpin

The old stop taps have a tappered joint and a 3/4 nut and it would have had a 1/2 brass pipe stub lead wiped onto a 1/2 lead pipe.

You could try to hack saw the projecting copper piece off the tap connector to make a flat (some filing needed) then get a 3/4 flat fibre washer and tighten down, this as worked for me in the past

I have scratched the pipe and it's shiny. The pipe comes out of the floor and goes into a shape of a rugby ball then into a smaller pipe into the stop tap. I have a adjustable spanner that have measurements on that are in mm but i don't know how accurate it is, so i have put the wrench on the pipe and nut and came out with these measurements.
Pipe from floor up to rugby ball shape 24mm.
Pipe from rugby ball shape to stop tap 17mm
Nut on botton of stop tap 29mm.
Their is numbers on the tap but we cannot see them so we are going to take the cupboard out on the weekend.

Ok so now we know its a lead supply with a lead to lead stopcock a 3/4 bsp thread is on the stopcock 3/4 female iron to 15mm compression will do the job suggest you proceed with caution as lead pipe will damage very easily make sure you can isolate water supply in case you damage the pipe.:)regards turnpin

If you're not too confident about this job it might be worth getting a plumber in. As turnpin says the job needs a bit of caution and it could end in tears!!!

I have bought a 15mm x 3/4 coupler and now need to know when i have done the coupler up finger tight how much tighter does the coupler need to be done up. The coupler came with a flexible tap connector washer and i would like to know what side needs to be touching the stop tap as the washer is dark on the one side and light on the other side. Is it best to use ptfe tape on the stop tap thread or their a better product to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can we use a 15X3/4 female coupler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock