Search the forum,

Discuss Boilers for HMO (4 bed rooms) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Klorr

Unlike my last question – which was just of interest, thisone we are going to actually do, one way or the other.

We (me and my dad) have just bought a house that we will eitherdoing up and selling as a family home or converting it into a HMO (so 4 bedrooms with en-suite in each – shower/sink/loo - plus kitchen, living room).

We have the list fromthe council with all the vast number of rules and laws and it all seems doable.
But, plumbing!! Ihave been reading on some of the landlord forums that many of them put eclecticshowers in so there is not too much strain on the boiler.
Does anyone have any recommendations with regards to thistype of thing; have you done one in the past?
Are there any combi boilers that will not just pack up iffour people run a shower at the same time. I really don’t want to put in a tank in the loft. Or are there any boilers (maybe seam) thatare specifically designed for this type of thing.
Of course the boiler will also have to heat the place (up to7 rooms) plus sink hot water in the kitchen, ensuites, etc.
I know it’s a bit of a generic question but nothing iscertain yet and I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations we couldlook at.

All depends on water pressures and are existing water main set up

in short no there isn't as there only really designed for one outlet at a time

Look after several HMOs and they all have boiler and unvented cylinder in the loft.

1. You'll never run 4 electric showers off one incoming main. Each shower requires approximately 40amps at 230 volts, so four would need 160 amps, and this is getting on for double the maximum into most domestic premises.

2. The best way to do it if you have the incoming pressure (at least 2 bar) and flow rate (25 - 30 litres / minute) from the cold main is an unvented cylinder, as Riley suggests.

3. It could be done with a cold water storage cistern in the loft with one large (communal) hot water cylinder or a smaller one in each flat. Probably need a shower pump for each flat as well.

The good thing is that the house we have bought is (at the moment) a right mess. This is good as it means we're going to completely refurbish it - electrics, water, heating, etc. So basically we can start from scratch and do the job right rather than trying to bodge something out of what's already there.

We have a guy from GAH coming round after xmas to test the pressure and give us some options on accumulators and also to advise on "other stuff" - e.g. water tank in loft, small tanks in each room.

PLUS (thanks to the new law which started this year) we will need to meter each room separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boilers for HMO (4 bed rooms) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock