Search the forum,

Discuss Blockage in waste pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,
Few weeks back i had a blockage causing water to backfill in the upstairs toilets. I unscrewed the cap at the 'service' port outside & removed the blockage ok. Few weeks later the exact same issue (had been fine for years) This time when removing the waste I noticed this white piece of pipe inside. This must have been what was causing the block all along. Its like a collar or spacer or something. Could this have broken off from somewhere further up ? I tried to remove it by dragging it back towards me & out through the service hole but no joy. Few pics attached.

Appreciate any thoughts...
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3470.jpeg
    IMG_3470.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    389.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    381.1 KB · Views: 21
That’s the seal for the pan connector which pushes into the soil pipe. Have you had the toilet removed for any work? They tend to stay in place when you remove the pan connector If they have been in for a while or not greased.
Pushing the pan connector back into the soil pipe may have pushed the white seal further into the soil pipe causing it to catch paper ect.

That’s the seal for the pan connector which pushes into the soil pipe. Have you had the toilet removed for any work? They tend to stay in place when you remove the pan connector If they have been in for a while or not greased.
Pushing the pan connector back into the soil pipe may have pushed the white seal further into the soil pipe causing it to catch paper ect.
Hi Christopher, No there has been no work done near the toilets for a few years. So this seal should be internal to the house? There is no evidence of any leaks. I don't know how but it must have got dislodged & yeah catching paper etc... Getting it out now may prove difficult

Grab it with a gloved hand and drag it towards the hole as far as you can, it is reasonably flexible so should be able to get it quite near.
Then, keeping hold of it with one hand, cut it into pieces- don’t let these fall down the pipe ( might be best to temporarily block this with a plastic bag full of plastic bags first) -again , don’t let this fall down, tie it to something externally.

Grab it with a gloved hand and drag it towards the hole as far as you can, it is reasonably flexible so should be able to get it quite near.
Then, keeping hold of it with one hand, cut it into pieces- don’t let these fall down the pipe ( might be best to temporarily block this with a plastic bag full of plastic bags first) -again , don’t let this fall down, tie it to something externally.
Yeah, I didn't want to drop it down the long vertical pipe & create a block there. But even if it do get it out, should I not be concerned this seal is no longer sealing somewhere ?

Push a long or rod or bar through the seal before you touch it then it can't fall down.

The seal may heave been trapped in the branch near the WC pan for years, from a previous replacement possibly.

It's the equivalent of the part arrowed below, not the seal from pan to connector it's the one between the connector and 100mm black waste pipe.

Pan connector seal.PNG

Reply to Blockage in waste pipe in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had the plumber replace the pipes less than 2 month from the sink that lead into a cast iron pipe. They also unblocked gunk from the start of the cast iron pipe. The gunk is in the photo I've attached. The pipe work is also attached(it's disconnected as we cleared the u bend to clear it out)...
Replies
Views
Hi could anyone give advice please ? I went to look at a new build for sale they are apartments/ one house on top of another all properties will be privately owned by individual buyers, a guy on-site pointed out that the plumbing is wrong on the properties as a perspective buyer I’d like to know...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe which serves the sink & shower in the loft when doing some work in the toilet underneath on the ceiling i have cut away the plasterboard to reveal...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock