Search the forum,

Discuss Banging pipes next door...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LesleyH

Hi, from a new member…

I hope someone can give me some advice here. We are in a mid-terrace, connecting with our neighbour only on the first storey, as the ground floor is separated by a gunnel. She is 94, lives alone, and has been frightened by intermittent, very loud rattling/banging of pipes, which she and her visiting family members say sounds like a train going through the house. It happens only during the day. They are blaming us, as we had a faulty boiler last year that made a rattling noise but that was replaced right away and we have since had no plumbing issues. Our plumber says that everything is fine but the family will not believe this and are threatening some sort of legal action.

Her house was built just after WWII and ours is slightly newer.

A builder friend who once had a similar problem with his house and the adjoining one, suggests that the noise is being caused by the Water Board changing water pressure and thinks that the neighbour’s stopcock needs to be adjusted. That was his solution and he said that it solved the problem. Does this sound feasible? I know nothing about plumbing but need an explanation for the family, who insist (in a very shouty aggressive way) that it’s our fault and we “need to sort it, it isn’t rocket science”. We are feeling quite intimidated and since our plumber says there is nothing for him to fix aren't sure what to do next.

i would ask your plumber to give you something in writing say no problems in your house and send them a copy i definitley wouldnt be worrying about legal action they cant do much to real nuisance neighbours let alone a few noisy pipes

I looked it up , it said something about fish. When I was a kid we could hear trains along the now disused tunnel under our house, this gunnel/tunnel knows more that it's letting on.

I looked it up , it said something about fish. When I was a kid we could hear trains along the now disused tunnel under our house, this gunnel/tunnel knows more that it's letting on.

Migrants in the wrong tunnel? lol

Thanks very much for replying, Steve. We are getting a letter from the plumber and I was also hoping to be able to give them a possible explanation so that they can get it fixed for her. I was pleased to hear about the stopcock idea but not sure if that is a viable thing...

Thanks again :D

It can be fault of a stopcock turned down too much, or the washer in it hard.
Or it can be a ballvalve usually on the cold water tank in attic (if there is a tank there).
I would consider getting another plumber in that you are also confident with and get his opinion plus it in writing. Then put copies of the letter in an envelope together with a letter asking them what is convincing them that you have noise coming from your property and suggesting they get a proper professional plumber to check their property.

Just a thought, - You say the noise only occurs during the day?
Why not turn your stopcock fully off for one day (however inconvenient this may be) and see if noise still happening that day in neighbours? DO NOT tell them that you have turned your stopcock off! That way if they still complain you can tell them to sod off

Have you heard the noise in your house?

Have they had someone in to check there house?

If they haven't then encourage them to take legal action and waste there money.

If you have had yours checked then it's not your problem tell them to go fourth and multiply and if they keep threatening you then you will seek legal advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Banging pipes next door...? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock