Search the forum,

Discuss Automatic way to prevent private supply from freezing up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattwynne

Hi all,

We moved out here to a farm in the Scottish Highlands a couple of years ago, and this is our first cold winter.

We have a private water supply, and some of the supply pipe runs over-ground. Last week in the cold snap, it froze.

We've been generally in the habit of running a cold tap overnight on cold nights, to keep a flow going down the supply pipe. On this occasion nobody noticed how cold it had been during the day until it was too late.

And once it froze, it was a bloody nightmare.

So I was thinking about how I could make something that can automatically "run the tap" when the temperature drops. I have a messy "plant" room where we filter the water before it comes into the house, and I could easily fit something in there. What kind of device would I need to open a valve when the temperature gets low?

Any ideas?!

cheers,
Matt

better to bury the suply pipe between 750 to 1350 mm deep then it wont freeze, your idea is not the answer

Yeh id also be looking at burying it or a new pipe next to it as said above at correct depth.

Bury it.
Lag it with good quality insulation.
Trace heating under the lagging, but it will also need good quality lagging.
Solenoid valve on a timer and frost stat to auto run off the water.

My Son has got a 750mtr run buried down a hillside in Northumberland, that doesn't freeze even with 3 ft of snow on it for a month.

Last edited:
Bury it.
Lag it with good quality insulation.
Trace heating under the lagging, but it will also need good quality lagging.
Solenoid valve on a timer and frost stat to auto run off the water.

My Son has got a 750mtr run buried down a hillside in Northumberland, that doesn't freeze even with 3 ft of snow on it for a month.

Does he want a gardener.
Best rates for grass cutting :)

Thanks for the thoughts all - I'm definitely planning to put the pipe underground where I can, but it crosses a river at one point and just has to go out in the open air for about a 10m section. I'm obviously going to insulate that section too, but I'd still like a belt and braces approach. There's no harm in keeping the water running - it's free!

Overall the run of pipe that stands still when the taps in the house are off is about 80m long.

Thanks for the links to Heat Trace - that looks perfect if I can afford it. I'm gonna investigate.

When you say it crosses or runs by a river is the water flowing ?
I have seen a farmers supply running in a fast flowing stream that never froze so neither did the pipe as it was submerged !
The only reason it was never buried was due to all the ground around being solid rock !

I have seen a farmers supply running in a fast flowing stream that never froze so neither did the pipe as it was submerged !
The only reason it was never buried was due to all the ground around being solid rock !

It crosses a river. I can't submerge the pipe as the river goes from trickling stream to raging torrent depending on the weather, so it would always be at risk of getting ripped out, I think. I dunno - maybe I'm wrong and I could spend some time in summer pulling rocks out and trying to bury it under the river bed.

Yeah it crosses the burn, and I'm scared to try and bury it in the river bed as it goes absolutely mental when it's in spate.

Sure.
Wont take me long :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422380020583.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422380020583.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi all,

We've been generally in the habit of running a cold tap overnight on cold nights, to keep a flow going down the supply pipe.

This is crazy, think of those oxfam ads where kids travel miles for drinking water & your going to bed at night with the tap running!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Automatic way to prevent private supply from freezing up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Hello - am hoping someone out there can offer some advice... I've been living in a split level 1st & 2nd floor masionette for two months, which was built in the 60's. Heating is provided via combi boiler. Water for kichen is fed straight from the mains supply (both hot and cold), however, we...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone, I hope someone can advise on this problem that is annoying me more and more. I live in a 1900s mid terraced property. My water supply is somehow linked to my neighbours water usage and this is now really annoying me. I can hear the water 'being run' through the water pipes in...
Replies
Views
Hi we've just had a bathroom fitted with a mixer tap to the sink and mixer tap with a bath handheld shower fitting to the bath and there is almost no pressure at all. Previously we had single taps and the pressure was fine and is good downstairs. It is all gravity fed. We have a shower pump...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping somebody on the forum may be able to advise. We would like to buy a barn in Penshurst, Kent - which has planning permission to convert into a 4 bedroom home. The problem is that the water utility main is over 1k/m away and it seems impossible that we would be able to run a new pipe...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock