Search the forum,

Discuss Barn Conversion - No Mains Water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Hoping somebody on the forum may be able to advise. We would like to buy a barn in Penshurst, Kent - which has planning permission to convert into a 4 bedroom home. The problem is that the water utility main is over 1k/m away and it seems impossible that we would be able to run a new pipe, through private land / fields etc.

We are considering a borehole, but I am told there is no guarantee that we would strike water, and if we did unlikely to be high yielding, or good enough quality without costly filtration. So my questions are: -

1. Is it possible to tee off the sellers property water supply (which she is happy to do). Is it legal?, what are the risks involved with doing something like this.
2. Does anybody know about boreholes or the likelihood of striking water and if there is anyway of knowing for sure (not involving a person with a couple of rods walking about :))...

It seems that it is just way too risky to purchase this barn if I cannot 100% guarantee a water supply. Anybody come up against a situation like this?

Thanks,

Matt.

Contact a local Borehole drilling company, they'll have experience in the area and know likelyhood / depths / costs involved, probably even without a survey.
Unless it was someone similar who told you of no guarantee.

Teeing off an existing supply would depend on it's size and flow rate and the prospective use added by the barn as to whether it would be adequate.
What route does that supply run, if also across other land it may be possible to upgrade that to suit both properties, the advantage being they already have agreement for the route.

Living out in the sticks have had this problem a few times
If existing supply is close first check pressure and volume no point connecting to it if it's already at its limit.
If ok put a water meter on your side of supply to sort out bills.
If you can connect to existing supply consider some sort of storage system.
How about a rain water harvesting system for toilet flushing outside taps ect? Done a number of those work well.

Reply to Barn Conversion - No Mains Water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock