Search the forum,

Discuss Another thermal store / WBS question...! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

acorn

Hello, This subject has probably been covered plenty of times so please excuse my ignorance!
I live in rural France and currently do not have any form of heating other than portable oil-filled electric radiators and a woodburner (Villager Bayswater) in the kitchen.
I intend to install some form of central heating and since oil / gas / electric are far too expensive would like to use a woodburner with backboiler for my central heating needs.
I have just bought a Villager AHI (integral backboiler) which I hope to install sometime this year. However, to make the best use of it I am considering installing a thermal store so that I can have a warm house in the mornings before the AHI is lit. I have a few questions about the best way to run the system though….
a) Since domestic hot water here in France is usually supplied by a mains pressure ‘chauffe-eau’ I intend to keep it that way and use the thermal store JUST for heating. I believe that unless I couple the thermal store to a solar supply (which I don’t intend to do) the cost of heating the thermal store just for hot water in the summer would not be economical. This is why I think it would be better to leave the hot water system as it is.
b) So, bearing that in mind the thermal store would just be for heating only. I would like to run approx 12 radiators. Theoretically if they were all running at the same time how big would the thermal store need to be?
c) At the moment the Bayswater in the kitchen is alight from 8am-8pm every day throughout the winter. I am considering putting the AHI in the kitchen and moving the Baywsater into the lounge to use as a ‘feature’ stove. If the AHI is lit for the same amount of time, i.e 12 hours a day, I imagine that would be more than enough to heat the thermal store … but what happens to the excess heat thereafter? Does it then get pumped round the CH system so that I have a continuously warm house whilst the AHI is lit, with the benefit of stored heat to use the following morning.
d) If I don’t need to light it for any length of time then I wonder if it would be better installed in the lounge where we could light it in the evenings only to provide enough heat to charge the thermal store … but would there be enough heat in the thermal store to supply heating to the whole house until the following evening when the AHI will be lit again?
e) Finally (for now) due to space / load restrictions the thermal store would have to be located on the ground floor approx 5 metres horizontally from the AHI. I know it needs to be open-vented to I can install a F/E tank on the upper floor directly above the thermal store. But what happens in the event of a power cut? Would I be better off running an additional gravity feed circuit to a couple of heat-leak radiators in the room above the AHI (with it’s own small F/E tank)? The AHI has 4 tappings so one set could be used for the pumped thermal store supply / return, and the other to run a small gravity feed circuit if necessary.

Thanking you in advance for any useful information!

Welcome to the forum acorn, the usuall ruel of thumb for sizing a thermal store is 50l per Kw output (to water) of the stove.

The other question I would ask is, does the stove have a thermostatic damper to regulate the heat.

There are regulations in france that I have no knowlege of though

[QUOTE
The other question I would ask is, does the stove have a thermostatic damper to regulate the heat.
[/QUOTE]

Hello ecowarm
Thank you for your reply. No, this particular stove doesn't have a thermostatic damper (which I assume automatically cuts the air supply to the stove in the event of over-heating.) It will have a manual flue damper but I don't think that's what you mean. I think some of the modern stoves have automatic dampers which flood the boiler with cold water if they overheat...but I could be talking nonsense here!

Acorn, yes in france it is allowable to have a cooling coil fitted to a stove, what happens if it overheats main cold water if injected into the boiler to instantly cool the boiler.

If your stove had a Thermostatic damper (shut off air supply) you can allow 10% of its output for a heatleak rad, with no thermostatic damper you have the possablity of the boiler running flat out at 10KW or whatever the max output is, so provission for maybe upstairs rads to take the heat?

It maybe allowable to have and add on cooler fitted in that country (see Kolty.com)

im no expert on solid fuel but a heat store will not hold heat after the boiler is out in sufficent quantity to provide 12 rads for more than minutes

Steve @ 50l/kw if the stove has an output to water of say 10Kw that's a store of 500l of say 85 degrees hot water, if the output to rads is blended down to 60 degree ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,23:51 I'm not working it out now ....off to bed. ps more than a few mins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another thermal store / WBS question...! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Background 24 apartments are equipped with thermal stores of (100 to 150 litres) with immersion heater capability. Individual demand of each...
Replies
Views
How a thermal store boiler works! I’ve got an old thermal store boiler and I’m trying to work out how it works. From what I understand the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am getting my old hot water cylinder tank replaced (my property has no boiler as it is a full electric property). My plumber suggested...
Replies
Views
Hi - I have a Telford's Tristar Thermal store with a Caleffi 533..h PRV set to 3 bar. The PRV doesn't appear to be drop tight, so static rises...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock