Search the forum,

Discuss Another shower pump problem, or problems :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
I have two customers that I've fitted shower pumps for and both are having problems but I cannot, for the life of me, get to the bottom of the problem with either so I'm looking for some advice.

Customer 1:
They fitted a new bathroom and asked me to fit pipework to sanitary ware etc, as well as install a shower pump to create supply for two showers. One shower is in the en-suite, the other side of the wall to the main bathroom where the pump is installed underneath the bath, and the second shower is downstairs, below the main bathroom. There is a separate cold water supply from the CWSC in the loft to the pump.
The problem is that that the pump starts ok when they turn on the shower but then the hot water stops and the pump is making a stuttering noise until it is turned off and then on again and it's a repeating loop of this.
I have fitted the pump with an 'S' flange, as recommended by the manufacturer (Stuart Turner), and as seen in the photo attached. Stuart Turner say that it's water starvation but i can't see it being that really. If you guys have any ideas I' like to hear them - good ones though :)
IMG_1726.jpg

Customer number 2:
Similar setup but with a single impeller pump on the hot water. This is in the airing cupboard adjacent to the en-suite bathroom where the shower resides. He can only get the pump to kick in if he drops the shower head to the floor and then lifts it again. 'S' flange fitted, dedicated pipework for hot. Mains cold supply pressure regulated via a PRV in the loft.
No photos of this one.
Again, any decent ideas would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Customer 1: The pump should be cited in the airing cupboard and not under the bath. It does sound like a restriction or blockage on the HW side. but the install looks good, an Essex flange is an even better solution IMHO. Check the filters too. both at the pump and shower. Try swapping the pump supplies over (i.e. cold side to hot side)

Customer 2:
I suspect this is due to the showered no being far enough flow the CWSC to activate the flow switches, the MI's will tell you what the distance is but note that they do not take pipework with restrictions and multiple bends in it. Solutions are to increase the CWSC height, reduce the complexity of pipework, fit a Negative head pump.

How big is the cwst? How's the hot flow from an unpumped point in the upstairs bathroom? But most importantly, why are there so many switches on the right hand side of that cylinder?

In the picture you posted, where is the hot supply for other outlets. Is that a stopend fitted below the vent?

Custard 1
Looks like that's the hot for the whole house, as I can only see a vent going from the cyl. If anyone opens a tap the pump will draw air in.
The flange should be for the shower pump only.
Solution would be. Make pump a dedicated supply and check for blockage on cyl cold feed.
Custard 2
Looks like the cold mains pressure is crosding through to the hot supply. So the pump won't detect any flow. It's never good yo have pumped and mains to a mixer, but your probably stuck, due to location.
The only solution I can see, is to swap for a good negative head pump.

could be the angle but the hot looks like it is going up from the flange

I didn't do the electrics. The customer did all that, and a lot of it relates to stuff outside of the bathroom I think.

Customer 1: This is a pump that feeds the whole house, but only for the hot water side. The main bathroom. and en-suite are supplied on the cold water side of the pump from the cwsc in the loft but everything else in the house in one the mains for cold water.
They don't have a problem with the hot tap in the kitchen either, it appears to be just the showers causing a problem.

Customer 2: Can't see how this is happening as it's a single impeller pump for the hot only, and both the hot and cold have been matched for pressure suing prv's.

Hot supply for the whole house and yes, its a stop end that's on a redundant pipe that I can't get to, just in case :)

Customer 1:cant get the pump in the airing cupboard. I'll try swapping the feeds - if I can ever get back in as they're always out working.

Customer 2: The CWSC is around 2.5 metres above the pump and there is plenty of flow. The CWS drops straight to the cylinder and it's a 50 gallon cistern as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another shower pump problem, or problems :) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock