Discuss Am I being conned? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ewan

i gave an estimate for a full refit of a large shower room,doing everything including tiles,painting, changing lights etc. nothing going back in same position I reckon on minimum off 3 weeks. Anyway estimate was for supply of everything as customer didnt really have any ideas as to how she wanted it to look. So gave her a mood board,sketch,and first estimate based on this. She now says wants to give me job based on estimate but can I break down cost by items.
Is this a common trick as obviously I was making some profit on materials but if I give her high prices for material she then buys her own and knocks price off job. If I give her low price it makes labour price seem high.
Any thoughts,comments?

Hi. She may well use the same title to post on another type of site. It is not an unusual request. Simply make a schedule outlining the stages of the job. Eg.Item 1. Isolation and Removal. as a heading, and explain the process and materials caps & plugs, skip etc and hours. Item 2. Supply and fix Hot and cold services, soil and waste pipes. lalala and hours. Make it as long and as comprehensive as possiable. If nothing else it keeps negotiation going.

if she wants to supply her own stuff then you are not responsible for breakdowns which are chargeable. base your prices on b&q.

I do not like breaking down prices to much ,as customers try to take short cuts/cost savings were they can,they do not realise how important the prep work is,I explain I use quality materials ,I know will last and are proven and will not do the job with sub standard gear
I mention it is no good me breaking a price down and you the customer thinking you can supply a waste or paint cheaper as,I

1,would not use it

2 ,they are not qualified to choose what can be used

I do break down the works required,so they know what is involved and then they can make sure anyone else quoting is doing the same prep and over all works

I also explain there is no point in me breaking down the price as it will not be any cheaper,in fact ,if you break down prices often it often works out more

Obviously you put a mark up on materials,as you should on your labour charge to,everyone does to cover costs involved,trouble is to many people in this country think profit is for big companies not the small one/two man band,they should just get wages,this of course is tripe

Anyway,no you are not being conned,you are being squeezed and it is your chose if you want to be or by how much,tell them to get Dolphin Bathrooms in to quote,they will not be asking you to break everything done then..:D

good hunting

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
i give a time scale but would never break the materials down why? theres the price i want if your looking for a cheaper price go somewere else if your not happy
i honestly dont get it why customers want a breakdown unless as mentioned they are squeezing you and the only person who does that is my girlfriend,dont tell the wife
bob

i give a time scale but would never break the materials down why? theres the price i want if your looking for a cheaper price go somewere else if your not happy
i honestly dont get it why customers want a breakdown unless as mentioned they are squeezing you and the only person who does that is my girlfriend,dont tell the wife
bob

Quality :D

I've not done it yet but if a customer asked me to give them a breakdown of my prices I'd warn them that an invoice for £175 would have to be paid for in advance as this represents my time and knowledge in compiling the quotation/estimate in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I being conned? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock