Discuss After radiator leak my Glow worm Swift Flow 100 won't stay lit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hearts

I'm hoping someone who knows their stuff (which I don't) could offer me advice on a problem I've got.

Basically my radiator started leaking quite badly recently and I contacted my banks Home Emergency department. They arranged for a plumber to come and fix the problem which he did the following day. The leak is well and truly gone after he replaced a small section of pipe that connects to bottom of the thermostatic valve on the radiator (hope I got that bit right)
But....
After he left, that evening the pilot light went out on our boiler. I relit it but by the morning it was out again. Now it won't stay lit for more than around 6-8 hours and me and my wife are constantly re-lighting it.
I phoned RBS back and they said the person they sent out was a plumber and he should not have touched our boiler. Now he did look at our boiler for a bit (not inside it) but I don't know if he did anything to it. All I do know is this problem has happened after he drained our central heating system, fixed the leak and topped the system back up.
Could this new problem be a result from the leaking radiator and the guy who fixed the leak or does it just sound like a coincidence? I do have an old boiler - Glow worm Swift Flow 100....but its never given me any real problems since I moved into my house.

Any advice would be most grateful as my bank won't send out a heating engineer because my boiler is too old.

A pilot that keeps going out typically sound like a problem with the thermocouple, I'm thinking coincidence.

you need a Gas Engineer , it could be as mention above or something else !
you can post here and local to you engineer will contact you
[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas engineer.[/DLMURL]

It's just one of them things. Not plumbers fault.

Sounds like you haven't had it serviced in a while, maybe you should?

As said just unlucky get a gsr engineer out.

If only us plumbers didn't have to do repairs!!

The trouble we're faced with is water has been flowing for years all quite happily. Then along comes this bloke who upsets the water flow, fixes a leak then the water tries to find its way around again. All the H2O molecules were quite happy before but now some muck has settled somewhere and whereas before it never bothered these molecules now they've got the unions out and have decided to go on strike!!!

I'm NOT having a go!!! Honest!!! It's the way the cookie crumbles and it's one of the frustrations with plumbing. Electricity just goes from a to b, wood doesn't move but water goes everywhere and it changes its shape, temperature and so on.

Anyway - to your problem:

First, there is nothing wrong with looking at the boiler. Some of us aren't GasSafe (and therefore won't remove the cover) but we do look at things to ensure they are safe for you! If we notice anything it's more professional to say something. Rather like a mechanic telling you your brakes are shot to pieces when all you did was take the car in to change a tyre.

Another reason to look at the boiler is that is where the water is heated, so if the water's warming up there it should then warm up at the radiator. Additionally, that is where (on many boilers) the water enters the heating system.

What might have happened is the pump may require more bleeding, some muck might have collected somewhere in the system or another problem.

Simply phone RBS and get them to send out the plumber again. Most of us work on the principle of trying to make a customer happy, RBS included - not what the television programmes would like you to think!

(And please don't bite his head off - our job is difficult at the best of times!!)

Thanks to everyone here who responded so quickly. Very much appreciated. Will stop me blindly shouting down the phone at my bank.
As someone mentioned it hasn't had a service in about 16 months as it's not very accessible (according to British Gas). Engineer who came out then said he found it too hard to access and refused to service it...which was strange to me as I tried to get one of those Homecare policies and they said the previous homeowners had one. Not sure how they serviced the boiler for the previous owners but when I moved in to the house they then said "Nah....too difficult".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to After radiator leak my Glow worm Swift Flow 100 won't stay lit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice please. My system has 5 Drayton Wiser TRVs. There are 8 rads over 3 storeys and a 170l unvented...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Hello, recently our boiler stopped working properly, causing a lack of heat in our 14-radiator splitter in 3 storeys. having only one boiler at...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock