Search the forum,

Discuss Advise on everything starting out needed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RP23

Hi All,

I’ve joined the forum in hope of some good advice.

I’m 29yrs old and have been offered a chance to in work and help run a family members heating & Plumbing business. I thought long and hard and am very excited about doing a practical hand’s on roll as I’ve been office based for the last 10yrs. I know this is the right choice for me and a great opportunity.

I will need to become fully qualified and register with Gas Safe and learn on the job as you all are aware. What levels or training should I be looking into and what are the time frames? Best courses? What is the best route? Is there funding available? Is there a body who can advise me of what’s best to do in my situation?

I’m really sorry if all of this is covered elsewhere on the site but I have very limited access to the internet. Any link to threads or website would be great as well as any advice.

Many Thank
RP23

Best advice I can give is to stay away from the Fast track training mobs. No amount of money paid to a training facility can substitute hands on experience. There are courses for adult apprenticeships (which you're family's business may be able to set up for you). I think as far as gas goes you will be whats known as a Category 3 trainee ( a new entrant to the industry).Before they let you train for your ACS you need to satisfy the training provider of your suitablity to work with gas (usually in the form of a Utilisation course). You will need a substantial portfolio of gas work depending on the assessments you are taking, e.g. Cookers, Fires etc.
Speak to the local colleges, they are usually helpful. Or look in the back of the Installer magazine, thats usually stacked out with training providers who will be more up to date than myself.
Good luck
PS This will take a few years to get yourself up to speed and qualified,but even once you think you're there it doesn't stop, we are still all learning new things everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advise on everything starting out needed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed up in my work for so long that I’ve enrolled to do my gas safe and become an engineer. I know it’s hard work but I’m really excited and I’d love to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament and how have you overcome it. I’m a wife of a heating engineer - who has recently started out full time (2 years ago self employed 15 years...
Replies
Views
Hi All My husband and I are re looking at the finances for the business and I wanted to ensure the company still remains competitive with prices charged. So I was wondering what roughly everyone charges as a day rate around Birmingham/West Midlands Experience over 15 years, gas and plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’m looking for a course that will cover the necessary certificates for me to obtain the gas safe status. I’ve come across a few providers who offer, training, hands on experience and the exam, but I’m torn on which one to go for. Does anyone have good/bad experience they could share...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock