Discuss Advice starting new career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've nearly completed the City + Guilds 6129 1 year plumbing course and looking to find a job soonish. I've been working as a foreman (and carpenter) for a small scale construction company. Can anyone advise me on my next move please? Have a 4 month old baby and partner full time mum- hard times
Cheers

Isn't the 6129 just the tech cert? U need the NVQ level 2 c&g 6089 to become a plumber.

yeah plan was to try and get a position with an experienced plumber and do NVQ onsite

Hi to Wiggy 21,
I did a fast track course 4 years ago and wished I'd saved the money. The books are great but you can buy great bookson the net. The practicals were taught by Plumbers who spent half their time on the phone running their own business and the rest of the time weighing in the copper scrap that we generated.

By far the best thing I did was to write out to loads of plumbers in the area offering to help them for free, labouring, carrying tools, anything to get to watch them and learn. The main thing a working plumber doesn't want is someone who gets in the way. If you do go down this route you will need to take out your own public liability insurance and make sure you mention it your letters.

Hi to Jimbob

Just a bit of advice, please don't take offence but you seem to have hi-jacked Wiggy's thread. Your question will only be seen by people looking at Wiggys thread thus reducing the likelyhood of replies. When we try to answer questions we don't know who we're talking to. It would be better for you both if you started your own thread.

Last edited:
Cheers for info Paulus, it was me who was asking :)
How much did you earn in your first year?

and can you tell me where's best for insurance?

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry mate! Only just joined and still getting to grips. Will take your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice starting new career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock