Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie Banks

Any recommendations of following

Worcester Bosch condenser boiler - which one is the best
New rads - Henrads are these ok
New pipework
Fernox clean system to keep it clean and efficient

Any other recommendations that I should consider

Want a clean, efficient system that will last

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
"Want a clean, efficient system that will last."

You're not asking for much!

That's why I am asking hopefully if I get your advice can get the best advice rather than just going off recommendations from locals.

Oz-plumber

Know I'm asking a lot but want to try and get it right

I'm a fan of Worcester boilers but just the green star classic range I feel they're missing the mark with there i range. But the classic is a brilliant boiler in my eyes. Also have your installer fit a Magna clean on heating circuit.

My advice is - always sealed system if possible, so no air absorbing or loss of water that an open vent has (normally you will be using a system/combi boiler anyhow).
All pipework joints to be 100% sealed - preferably all copper work with perfect soldered joints & any brass compression joints to be pasted.
Magnetic Filter fitted on old or brand new system.
Rads type doesn't really matter for length of life, as tbh if they are fitted to a decent system even cheap light nasty rads last for years in my experience. Although I stick with rads that are decent quality & that have been around for years - so can easily be replaced if one gets damaged etc.

Thanks Kris,

Are the green star classic ranges still New and similar in design only really heard of the cdi, i ranges. So edging towards a 28cdi because the wife likes it tropical. Have also already added a fernox magna clean system that should keep the sludge down as can service and clean the filter every 12 months. Also going to replace the pipework to bigger so try and keep any restrictions to a limit.

Thanks best think all your advice makes perfect sense. Wanted to do it once and hopefully keep it clean as much as possible every 12 months

Thanks best think all your advice makes perfect sense. Wanted to do it once and hopefully keep it clean as much as possible every 12 months

I notice a lot of sealed systems require topping the water pressure up fairly often. I think if you can avoid that by making sure all joints are sound - no microscopic leaks at joints & no cheap rad valves that weep slightly at packing, then the water will remain the same in the system for hopefully years, not months.
I have many systems - mostly oil boilers, treated obviously with inhibitor, that predate magnetic filters era, but they have very little corrosion as no weeps at all & I find they stay in pressure for years literally. Got to watch out for those hateful auto vents leaking or, if fitted in wrong place, absorbing air into system while heating pump on.
Some of the systems I am talking about are 30 plus years old. I removed an oil boiler from the 80s a couple of weeks ago, from an open vent system that by its design can't pump over etc. I had retreated system with inhibitor when replacing a copper cylinder years ago, & it has had inhibitor from new. Boiler water was very clean, with only slight black from base of boiler, which is to be expected.

Last edited:
Thanks best will check and emphasise the soldering and weeps avoidance and will hopefully be around to help or make sure that if anything goes wrong I know of it or where the problem may be. Trying to get everything straight and anything that needs to be addressed can while in the first stage

Best thing you can do is to employ a good heating engineer to set it up and install the system using a boiler they recommend and are used to working with. I for one wouldn't touch WB, as I feel they've lost the plot and still produce a boiler designed to breakdown - by including plate hexes and diverter valves and have overcomplicated pcbs, which being in a hot place are prone to failure overtime.

Once the system is up and running. leave it alone apart from checking for leaks etc if the pressure drops suddenly. Try and avoid constantly introducing fresh water at regular intervals as it will only cause corrosion in your system. Finally take advice from your local tradesmen, they are the ones working for you and wont want you bad mouthing them as they want to continue working in the future, why would their advice be any worse than that on here?

I think lame has hit the nail on the head. Get a reputable tradesman, get recommendations and several quotes, and let them do the job.

If you start off by saying 'I read on the internet you should be pasting all the joints' then they won't be happy, and if they are busy will probably pass on the job as they think you would be a pain in .......

Take their advice ref boiler, filter, chemicals etc as they will be the be the one fitting it, and ultimately repairing it.

Agree. With getting local lads. In my humble opinion it's better to have a naff boiler fitted well than a good boiler fitted badly.

Cool, all advice taken into consideration, got a very good local lad with good comments made about him and his work, just dont know him personnally so you just never know!!!

Just wanted peoples advice on any pitfalls so that we can get these sorted before hand.

Seem to have covered most things and just want to get the new system in before the need comes to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock