Search the forum,

Discuss Advertising in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Armo74

Hello Everyone,

How many people on here advertise themselves as a plumbing and heating company if they are not gas safe? Maybe a daft question but just wondered if you thought it gave the wrong impression.

Thanks.

I don't see how you can advertise heating if your not gas safe or oil/solid equivalent:30:

I take on gas jobs but am not GasSafe.

(That's cos I get me GS chappy in to do the appropriate parts!! I do oil.)

I take the point though about advertising "& heating" unless you have one of the heating qualifications.

You can do whatever you want to heat circuit if not gsr however you cannot do anything regarding appliance ,flue gas run etc ,

your basically saying you cant even work on a f+e tank which any plumber can .

What im saying is you cant work on the heat source which is quite an important part of a heating system

Agreed but can still advertise heating as long as not advertising gsr logo or gsr registerd on biz cards etc etc , i would advertise potato farming on my van if i thought it bought in work.

so would u advertise potato farming if you could plant them but not harvest them ? ie a full scope of the job?

You can advertise anything on your van but if you can't deliver you are letting the customer down and you will end up with a poor reputation. A bit like going clubbing with a pair of socks stuffed down your Y fronts, when you get to the bedroom scene you can't deliver what you've advertised.

at the end of the day if someone phoned me and asked me to change a pump, rad, port valves, cylinder, ect and that was because i had heating on my cards then im doing right if someone phoned me to work on a boiler without the gassafe logo on my card im still doing right because i would tell them i cant work on boilers as im not gassafe and put them in touch with someone i definetley know who is and thats the important thing

It's quite easy really. Most of my jobs don't require my oftec qual or GS. Reason I did oftec was a) I live out in the sticks and b) I didn't want someone phoning me saying "My heating doesn't work" and me not having the first clue about boilers.

Which brings us back to the original post, I suppose!

its crap out there at the mo but im sure it will pick up thats why i have heating on my card it gives me a bigger chance of getting jobs but if i get calls on boiler changes i go out with my mate who is gas safe and help him but services i pass on to him and if hes busy i get his plumbing jobs

putting plumbing and heating on your info will create a lot of gas related enquiries, if you dont have someone reliable to cover these jobs that you wish to put your name to, then your reputation is in jeopardy.imo.
then again, i believe 'general plumber' yet again pulls in more jobs of the right type.

Thanks for the replies guy's, Kind of a mixed response i suppose, i agree that obviously without the boiler the rest of the system is pretty much useless, However i also believe that there is alot more to heating than just the heat source itself which is why i asked the question.

I don't advertise as a heating engineer but I still get a fair few calls for fires/boilers etc. I'm currently looking for someone reliable in the area to pass these on to. My website does state central heating repairs as it's easier than stating all the bits of the central heating that I'm allowed to play with.
Once you get a decent customer base though and can pull back on the advertising it gets simpler. E.g. I have 2 landlords who use me for everything except gsr jobs, they have 22 houses between them, I give them a good rate and they don't look elsewhere. Probably get a job or two a month from just those 2 customers

I think 'and heating' if you haven't got a fuel ticket if any sorts is a bit misleading, but it will get more enquiries, but I can't imagine going to a job to check why heating isn't working and not being able to check boiler if needed. What would you say? I can check pump, valves, programmer but can't open boiler , also can't do a service either sorry missis. If your going to try and advertise heating at least go to the effort of getting a fuel ticket as dontknowitall has.

99% of the public see the word plumber and think you do everything anyway. My experience is that not having heating written on cards/website has in no way stopped me receiving endless enquiries about boilers and gas which I refer on to others. I'll take the rad jobs but that's about it. I don't hunger for a challenge. If I could I'd fill my day with outside tap replacements. Ah that'd be the life. Unscrew you, dum-de-dum-de bit of ptfe, in with the new, doop-de-doop, 50 squids please and off to the next one!

Thanks for the replies guy's, Kind of a mixed response i suppose, i agree that obviously without the boiler the rest of the system is pretty much useless, However i also believe that there is alot more to heating than just the heat source itself which is why i asked the question.

what everyone is saying its not required to be gsr but helps

classic, i like that wacko! This ever happened to you??? I had this dilemma when i first got my nvq 2. But i did advertise heating. But then, i knew a GSRE who i could call to do the gas side.

I don't advertise as a heating engineer but I still get a fair few calls for fires/boilers etc. I'm currently looking for someone reliable in the area to pass these on to. My website does state central heating repairs as it's easier than stating all the bits of the central heating that I'm allowed to play with.
Once you get a decent customer base though and can pull back on the advertising it gets simpler. E.g. I have 2 landlords who use me for everything except gsr jobs, they have 22 houses between them, I give them a good rate and they don't look elsewhere. Probably get a job or two a month from just those 2 customers

I live in Bolton JC,you can pass some on to me,I won't let you down either

don't need to be gas safe to install a heat pump, solar thermal or an electric boiler so why shouldn't you advertise heating

I don't see how you can advertise heating if your not gas safe or oil/solid equivalent:30:
Ive got to disagree as heating is normally a big part of a plumbers job regardless if gsr, if a customer enquires all you have to do is tell them straight away what you can and cannot do and then chance's are you will get the work and if you make a good job everyone is happy.

moony if getting a gas ticket was that easy to get id get one. and watertight what tool do you use that makes those sort of noises unless its broke

phil I've just done oil - had little experience in it before and took 7 days. gas isn't everything but i now have gas lpg and oil so have most covered - that way i don't lose a full house plumbing job just because i don't cover the particular fuel - how much has that cost me ? 3-4000 every five years in assessments and registration for the 3 fuel types - I'm time served level 3 so perhaps its easier for me than someone who didn't do the apprentice route - but i see it as part of the parcel so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find what you do best and brings the pennies in and stick to it. Although being diverse in other things does no harm as long as you know what you're doing and can do it well and legally.

Personally I'd love to do a Robson Greene and travel the world on a fishing trip and get paid for it, but until that miracle happens, I'm stuck doing what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advertising in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock