Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss A bit of guidance for a newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robster84

Hi all. We would like to fit a Grundfos pump to our hot water cylinder as the pressure to the taps is low. There is a combi boiler and a immersion tank for storage. Both are on the upper floor along with the bathroom (this is where i want to increase the pressure)

From what i understand, i would fit the pump to the immersion storage tank. Would this go on the pipe that comes out of the top of the tank?

Hello & welcome!
You say you have a combi boiler AND an immersion tank?
You need to be sure what you have & where each tap is supplied from. Some combi boilers are also piped to a copper hot cylinder and the combi only maybe supplies part of the hot supplies.
Is your hot water cylinder supplied with cold water from a cold water tank at a higher level - like in attic? Or is it an unvented cylinder (usually white cased stainless steel unit) which is actually not suitable for pumped outlet?

Yes we have both. The immersion is permanently switched off unless its required but the tank stores our hot water. The cold water feed is from the attic.

DSC_0010_zpszctaej0i.jpg

you got a pic of your boiler?

You can get a single pump that will do to boost your hot water flow and the instructions supplied will tell you where to connect it. Normally pump needs to sit on floor at base of cylinder.
However, if any hot taps etc are coming direct off the combi boiler, then pump won't do them obviously.
But problem you will have is mains pressure cold to cold supplies and a pumped hot which could mean unbalanced pressures. That needs looked into for any tap or shower mixers.
Another option to think about is an unvented hot cylinder if you have proper mains pressure and that would do away with your cold & hot tanks and no need for a pump.

Last edited:
DSC_0024.jpg

The white pipe in the bottom right hand corner comes from the tank, under the floor and into the bathroom. I am assuming that this is the pipe that will need the pump on it

View attachment 22686

The white pipe in the bottom right hand corner comes from the tank, under the floor and into the bathroom. I am assuming that this is the pipe that will need the pump on it

I'm on my phone atm and by the looks of it that's not a combi unless there are more pipe hidden looking straight at photo left is heating flow middle gas and right heating return so you have a heat only boiler

me thinks team that is a system boiler.......... look closer folks. My advise is to call in a plumber who knows how to do the job properly first time, its not what i would consider a diy job by someone who cant id what boiler type they own.

That is not a combination boiler.
Yes you can fit a pump to increase your flow rate. It depends on weather you want to make your shower better, or all hot / cold outlets.
Best to get an installer to have a look if your unsure.

Looks like a condensing system boiler to me
3 pipes blow off and condensate

Apologies on boiler identification mistake. I am not a plumber so have never heard of these types of boiler. I will get someone to come round and look and give me a price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A bit of guidance for a newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock