Discuss Worcester Bosch Greenstar Pressure Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jsaipe

Hi, I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i boiler with strange pressure fluctuations.

For the last couple of days I noticed that the pressure was reading zero in the morning when cold. I also noticed a slow drip coming out of the drain valve thanks to it only being hand tight.

So, I assumed that the pressure had dropped due to the water leak (albeit small). After tightening the drain valve I re-pressurised the system (when cold) back to 1.

However, when the boiler is on, the pressure goes up to 3 bar and into the red. To reduce the pressure, I've bled the nearest radiator when the boiler is on (not sure if I should do that while the boiler is running?). And then it sits happily around 1.5-2 bar.

However, when the boiler has been off for a while, the pressure is near enough back to zero after cooling right down which has forced me to re-pressurise to get the pressure back up to 1.5.

I've been through this process a few times of re-pressurising when cold but then having to reduce the pressure when hot.

I'm not especially technical, but from what I've read could it be my expansion vessel? Or could there be trapped air causing this? (FYI I've bled most of the radiators and none at the time had air in them).

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the expansion vessel, might just need re pressurising though rather than replacing.

Drain the system and check the pressure using a tyre pressure gauge on the top its just under the flue if it goes straight out the rear. Look at the right hand picture below, its at 1 o'clock on the vessel as shown.

0dcfcc2e6a0968ebd98f9db4b8d4ff2c.jpg

It should be about .75 bar. If its less use a pump to increase the pressure accordingly. If you can hear air going back into the system or the pressure keeps dropping it needs replacing. You can cut an additional one into the boiler return pipe but if its the original one being replaced you MUST have a GSR engineer to perform this task.

Last edited:
It's the expansion vessel, might just need re pressurising though rather than replacing.

Thanks! Will check it out. For an amateur it sounds a bit daunting.

FYI Worcester Bosch have quoted £260 to come out and fix or replace. Sound like a good deal?

Repressuring your EV is NOT advised as above as you don't know what pressure to put in it. Also there are other things you need to check and do.

The fixed price repair price doesn't sound too bad. Ring a couple of local gsr's too. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

Why use a W/B expansion ? generic external ones are about £40 - cap off the boiler one and stick the new one some where else with a 't' joint - thats what I would do - BUT GET A QUALIFIED
FELLA IN TO DO THIS ..............CHK

If it's a Greenstar Junior the expansion vessel will probably be knackered. I've had to replace two in as many weeks.

I have looked thro our records - the 24i has not been a great performer -

I can see 20/25 installations and the call backs etc make me pleased
that we dumped it and moved on - it was cheap at the time CHKing

Thanks all for your contributions. Really appreciated.

I have Worcester Bosch popping over on Tuesday as I'm not qualified to fix it. I was told this boiler was a star performer a few years back when it was installed. Hard to know who to believe eh!

Thank Worcester for everything .

Now If Carlsberg made a boiler it would be as light as a logic, beautiful as a Worcester, reliable as a valliant, have as many parts as a intergas, be priced like a heat line in rays super clear out offers and have a pay back scheme like Baxi. It would also make tea to go with the free bickies !

I believe the 'best' boiler is different plumbers opinions.

This topic on the 'best' boiler has been covered sooo many times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester Bosch Greenstar Pressure Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back