Search the forum,

Discuss What was that called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Remembering back to college, 33 years ago. We used to use a tool to form compression rings on copper tube. It worked on 15 & 22mm, had a "t" bar handle and was inserted into the cut end. This was then turned and a ball bearing was forced out.This made a ring for a compression fitting.

have never used or seen one since.

can anyone remember them. Or why they were called?

Once made a ring for a finger out of half a crown and polished it up, jeez that was a long time ago.
Can`t for the life of me remember how though.

For the young members a half a crown was once a coin.

Found it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 122
Correct but how the hell did I make a ring out of a coin using a small ball pein hammer?

Last edited:
Nah! it was easy but took time.
Tap, Tap, Tap then turn it round and start again, took hours.

Sure I've got one of those that does 15, 22, and 28mm.
It was handy for connecting pipework direct to old sink and bath taps using old compression nuts from the scrap box.

10pence= 2 shillings
2 1/2 pence = sixpence

12 1/2 pence = 2 shillings and sixpence.
8 x 2/6d. = ÂŁ1

sorry, forgot a crown was 5 shillings

Last edited:
never used the small one but inch and a quarter and inch and a half we used to form the top of a trap where it joined the waste fitting as there was no such thing as an adjustable copper trap back then
dont know if they still do9 but the albert hall used to erect a pond for the proms and i made the extended waste that dropped through to the cellars and screwed it all together

If 2/6d was still the money I probably could buy all the drinks and have change.
(and 10 woodys)
they were cigs for those that didn't know.

I would love a dominoes I'm hank Marvin. BBQ and a meat feast pleas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What was that called? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Firstly apologies for this not being directly a plumbing question, but I'm in a bit of a bind and I was hoping to find some help. It's more of...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Been having a real saga and head scratching situation. I originally had 1 problem, and now 2. Original issue: Air being built up in...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've got a British Gas 330+ Heat only boiler and it displayed an F25 error (lack of water iirc) on Sunday. I read the manual and bled the...
Replies
Views
Hi All I wonder if you could help me with a small conundrum. I was recently called to the scene of a water leak in a bathroom installation that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock